• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fordson tugger hoist

Started by Chuck Doan, January 10, 2017, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Design-HSB

Quote from: Chuck Doan on July 14, 2020, 09:42:36 PM
Thanks very much! Barney, that hand came out a bit too wrinkly for my taste.

But Chuck clearly shows the age group in which there are very good model builders. After all, the older ones have more experience, peace and time for such excellent model making. No matter from what perspective photographed it is a very beautiful model.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

finescalerr

Chuck, after all the effort to masterfully weather your models are you telling us the weathering of your own hands falls short? Go stand in the corner! -- ssuR

Bill Gill

Looks terrific, Chuck. I'll bet building the sled will be just like falling off , uhm, riding a bike :)

Dave Fischer

Chuck-- Once again, it is great to see this project all come together so perfectly! Having it all look like it happened at once is particularly difficult over such a stretch of time. Inspiring! (Though just short of enough to shake me from my current slump...) I am twisting my hat in my hands, but would like to offer a suggestion-- those front wheels would not have rolled in some time, and from what I have seen of idle steel wheels, they would have a layer of rust on the once-polished rims that would get thicker and browner as they sat, especially on the top. Also, the rain washes the mud and crud that had collected inside the rim into a puddle at the bottom. I am certain that as soon as I hit "post" you will show the latest photos that reveal that you have already done all this, but see what you think...  Again, FANTASTIC WORK!    DF

Chuck Doan

Russ, I like to weather, but I don't want to BE weathered.  Thanks Bill, time will tell.

Hi Dave, glad to hear from you.

No hat twisting required, I appreciate the advice!  I found many examples of very rusty wheels, and several examples of polished rims (thanks to antique farm plowing meets). But nothing that showed the shiny rims after a longish hiatus. I looked at long parked railroad wheels, but I never saw that style of rust on a tractor rim.  So I used an example of a dark brown and slightly sheened set of wheels I saw on an old running Fordson. There is a bit more accumulated mud in the bottoms, copied from tractor show examples. It's a little scary to mess with these since they are glued on, but I might re-visit it when I see it on the sled with all the debris and all. And if all else fails, I will use the excuse that it is supposed to represent a California machine, and everything here is a bit off (!)   

I hope you find your muse again, so we can see more of your fine work!

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Dave Fischer

Chuck-- I'm glad I brought it up so we could see a couple more nice close-ups of the front wheels... I was looking at photos of older steel-wheeled Farmalls on Google and remembering the long-unused tractors parked around the ranches here in Arizona where rust takes years to build up-- used steel looks like it has been painted dark brown without much loose orange oxide anywhere. The California line is a good one, and if ANYONE is OCD enough to even bring it up, you can use that as a root for a much more involved story! The metal effect on the rims right now is perfect, but you are right, once all is in place, you can bet that there will be some adjustment. Keep it up-- I suspect that there are many of us living through you right now...     DF

Chuck Doan

Of all the things on this project, these rims gave me the most head scratching on how to finish them.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

Dave Fischer

To paraphrase the artist James McNeill Whistler, no matter how much work has gone into a painting, it should look like it was effortless. I'd say that about sums up what you've done here!    DF

Bernhard

Chuck, I admire your perfect models and the absolutely perfect paint jobs.
Bernhard

Barney

The Wheel rims look absolutely right - looked at a lot of my photos from the tractor shows and they look just like that - if they have been running through grass or a forrest floor - lovely workmanship - after the wooden bits whats next !!
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Chuck Doan

Thanks Guys! Here are some final pictures to close out this part of the project.

finescalerr

It looks terrific ... but it needs a bath and a paint job. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Design-HSB

Only one thing I don't understand is that such a great machine has been so little maintained.  ::) :o
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Barney

A true Master piece - better than the real thing !!
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson