• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Paper modelling

Started by Frederic Testard, March 01, 2010, 06:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaKra

If you draw them in Adobe or Corel, I can cut them.     

Whippet in 1/15 scale out of cardboard.  Check it out.   

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v116/bigtank/?start=620

marc_reusser

That's sweet. Nice painting and weathering as well.

Thanks for the link.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Bernard, you MUST post more photos of the light house! -- Russ

Frederic Testard

Dave, would you be able to cut from a pdf?
Frederic Testard

DaKra

Frederic,

On the pdf, the short answer is no. 

Laser cutting works with vector based graphics, like Corel or Adobe.   It interprets vector lines below a certain width as cut lines, which it traces precisely.  And vector lines above a certain width, it will raster engrave.   Pixels are raster-engraved.  Pixels are fine for surface engraving but not cutting.     

However, if the .pdf originated as a vector graphic, and depending on how it was saved, I might be able to convert it back to vector format and use it for cutting.   Otherwise, its pixels to the laser.   

I hope that was clear.  Did you have anything in particular that you are considering laser cutting? 

Dave

Frederic Testard

Dave, I still have in mind my pagoda project with lots of wood adjustment, plus as a mind who loves the travel as well as the destination, if I know something may be done, I become more creative.
And if the pdf comes from a postcript style file, with commands such as "set linewidth", "moveto", "lineto"?
(In fact, I can directly write the postcript...)
Frederic Testard

DaKra

Hi Frederic

I'm not sure but the best way to find out is if you sent me the file, or a portion of it.   If its usable in vector, I'd be happy to make some test parts and send them to you free.    That way you can see if this is something you'd like to pursue.    Of course any files I get are kept confidential and erased at the request of the sender.     

Dave

Frederic Testard

Thank you, Dave. I'll have to think a bit of it, but I'm definitely interested by your proposal.
Can you PM me some hints about the pricing for custom laser cutting?
Frederic Testard

finescalerr

Dave, would CAD files also work for you? Can you convert them to the necessary format? Some guys here probably have CAD programs. -- Russ

DaKra

Hi Russ

I don't know, I never tried to download or work with a CAD file.   But I think at least some CAD graphics software has an option to turn a CAD file into a blueprint type vector drawing, which I can then open in Adobe and work from.  My friend who works in Rhino has sent me files to cut using that method. 

Lasering is pretty much 2D, plus some engraving.  Its up to the guy who gets the parts to work them into 3D.  Which is why the methodology behind these East European paper models is so interesting to me.   

Hi Frederic,

I sent you an email.

Dave

Frederic Testard

Thank you, Dave. I got it. Now I am in the 'thinking process'. People often call it a nap...
Frederic Testard

finescalerr

Dave, that is why I like paper modeling, too. I can design 2-D parts in Auto CAD and build them into a 3-D model. And special parts that need cutting go fast on the laser.

In contemporary digital recording, ribbon microphones, a 1930s design, have made a huge comeback because their naturally smooth and silky tone compliments the "grainy" sound of digital so well. For the same reason, I suspect the use of laser cut cardstock and resin board are due for a modeling comeback.

It is doubtful the trend would start with railroad guys because modeling is such a secondary interest for most of them and because the majority is rather uncreative. Rather it may gain its first foothold in military modeling or perhaps some other areas. Unless somebody like you creates card models that the Great Unwashed perceive as a better choice than plastic or wood.

Russ

DaKra

Russ

I seriously can't imagine any circumstances where paper would make a comeback as a mainstream model medium in the USA especially among armor modelers.   Plastic, brass and resin cover everything.   

Dave

finescalerr

Card can be equal to or better than wood, styrene, or resin for some structure, rolling stock, or scenic components. It will never replace styrene as long as the market is strong enough to justify the tooling costs but, considering the dismal state of the craft hobbies, expensive mass production may not be around forever. I'm not saying it's an either/or proposition. But I do think if kits move to mixed media construction, card will have a shot for some things. -- Russ

DaKra

Its true, card is great stuff and extremely useful, extremely underrated, for miniature work.   I have a few all-cardstock mini kit designs I'll take commercial this year, then we'll know a little more if the US MRR market is ready for such a thing.   

Dave