• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

south creek road

Started by 1-32, November 28, 2017, 01:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

good morning.
The technique is to make a form out of styrene which is stuck onto paper,  then a plaster mix is spread between this form. The form is stuck onto a good quality paper and the plaster sticks to the paper. When the plaster drys pick up the paper with the plaster stuck on and twist it the plaster will crack in a random pattern this is what you want then stick it onto your model.[i will do some pictures soon].
The colour yes those lines are too dark also there should be a damp patch at the bottom of the wall, The actual colour of concrete I find hard the commercial products on the market I  find to be no good the only way I think is to use watercolours they sink in plaster.
cheers Kim

1-32

Hi all.
Here is a series of pictures of my attempts at concrete.
Basically, you have the form and the base of the slab, pour the slab, in this case, patching plaster let dry remove the base from the form and crack.I have adapted this idea from other techniques of concrete, some use mesh in the plaster to keep it together but I have found if you use patching plaster that is already sticky you don't have to.
This version is funny as I put the wet plaster in the microwave and it made it dry really quickly so it is very dynamic most likely I will have to hold it together with white glue.This is ok but stops the watercolour sinking in, if you want to wait for much finer cracks are possible-but I really like it. As always try and avoid hard controlled surfaces especially the edges.
cheers Kim.

finescalerr

Thanks for the step by step. -- Russ

1-32

Hi All.
South Creeks centre section has been completely pulled apart but progress is being made to pull it back together. What I want is to build an alley between the two buildings at the back to create the illusion of maximum space in a small space. Will I create another display window .a window with curtains or something else in the newly vacant space we will see?
cheers.

Lawton Maner

The local building authority is going to have to issue a warning as to the safety of the slabs and demand that you fence them off to keep members of the public from injuring themselves.

1-32

Hi Lawton,
There are a few traps in there the biggest would be the fire hazard but hey we are all big biffy blokes aren't we.?
The biggest challenge apart from starting again will be the background space at the back of the alleyway. There is a gap of 73 mm or about 3 inches I could build another high fence but what I am thinking is to continue the sky down and have a low structure but this will mean having a join line in the horizon what will I use to cover this line?
anyway all the best Kim

5thwheel

Hi Kim.  How about forcing the perspective on the new building.  That would give you depth. I think you are having too much fun.

Bill
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

1-32

yep forced perspectives mirrors but I have gone with extending the sky to do this I had to do a new sky no worries. Now I have a join in the sky,  funny but I will have to disguise with maybe a sign or a water pipe we will see.
cheers.

Lawton Maner

I see the building inspector has been called and is now deciding whether or not to issue a fine or hang safety tape.

finescalerr

He should fine the sky for property encroachment. -- ssuR

1-32

Hi and good morning.
What was the name of the movie The Truman Show where his world was a completely artificial well my sky now reminds me of that? The sky is too blue a wash of white should sort it out no worries.

1-32

The more I thought about the Truman Show the more I was convinced both the blue sky and the position of the cloud was wrong so today I changed them.Now the cloud has a lot more depth of field and fits well between the buildings. One final thing the black in the clouds needs to go. Really the only thing that I liked about the Truman Show was the painted sky at the finish.
Cheers

finescalerr

I found the Truman Show disappointing but I like your diorama a lot. -- Russ

1-32

good evening all.
The solution to the join in the back scene a line of washing of course. While I am at it I have changed the colour of the roofs at the back and re-clad the building at the right, at the moment I am trying to decide how much weathering I should apply to the new work.
cheers Kim