• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Some recent work on the In-ko-pah RR

Started by Ray Dunakin, June 28, 2017, 07:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

The wretched little pests are called Aedes mosquitoes and their nickname is "ankle biters" because they like to stay close to the ground. Unlike most mosquitoes, they are active during the day. They have little white stripes, bite you several times rather than just once or twice, and are very aggressive. Thanks to global warming they have moved into Southern California from South America. Warning: They can bite you right through your clothes so wear something pretty tough. Guess how I know so much about the horrid micro-monsters. -- Russ

Barney

A Well thought out project and it looks as if its always been there - as for the nasty bugs biting in the ankle area it sounds like a suit of armour would be better protector - the things we have to put up with just to survive
Keep the good work up - but take it easy
Barney 
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

TRAINS1941

Wonderful work Ray!!

We have little bugs at the shore that bite your feet e call them nosees!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Lawton Maner

Here in Virginia we call them tax collectors.  Or is it the other way around where tax collectors are called blood suckers?

Bernhard

Good progress on the ore bin. That's neat carpentry work.
And yes Lawton, I know what species you are talking about!

Bernhard

Ray Dunakin

Continuing the Black Rock Mine ore bin project...

The ore bin was loosely inspired by this one at the War Eagle Mine in the Mojave Desert:

The upper portion of this ore bin is a slightly more recent addition, and the color of the weathered wood is a bit lighter that on the lower portion. I tried to emulate this look when I painted my ore bin.

When I built the ore bin I pre-drilled holes for the tie rods. Prior to painting, I inserted short pieces of styrene rod into the holes to keep the paint out of them:

I bought some exterior grade latex paint in three shades of brown -- a dark chocolate brown, a warm medium brown, and a light, yellowish tan. I also supplemented these with various craft acrylics.

I started by painting the entire ore bin with the dark chocolate brown. Then I lightly brushed the tan paint onto the planks that line the interior of the bin, letting some of the dark undercoat show through:

Then I built up layers of color on the planks. I often used a ratty old brush to apply the paint in streaks. I also used a fan-shaped artist's brush, and a flat brush:

After I had finished painting all the planks, I used the same techniques to add streaks of color to the heavy beams the form the frame. When the paint was finished I sprayed the entire thing with three coats of Krylon UV-resistant matte clear to give it extra protection from the sun.

Next I used needle-nose pliers to pull the styrene rods out of all the pre-drilled holes for the tie rods. I then insert thin brass rods into the holes. I glued the rods in place with CA, then added brass washers and nuts on the ends. These were simply slipped on and then glued in place. When I was finished I used a Dremel and cutting wheel to trim off the excess rod:

The last task was to paint the ore gate hardware and then glue it in place. Here's the finished ore bin in position on the layout. I plan to add some lights to it later, after I've completed some of the other structure for this mine:

I still have to figure out what the rest of the mine will be.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill Gill

finescalerr

Bill is right. And seeing you at work again makes me wonder: When is the last time you ran a train? Or has your layout become an outdoor canvass for 3-D art? -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: finescalerr on April 05, 2023, 11:48:15 AMBill is right. And seeing you at work again makes me wonder: When is the last time you ran a train? Or has your layout become an outdoor canvass for 3-D art? -- Russ

It's been a couple years, in large part because various sections of the track (mostly trestles and bridges) are undergoing rehabilitation.

Ray Dunakin's World

Barney

Looking Good Ray - And nice detail
Barney
Stuart McPherson

Ray Dunakin

Not exactly modeling, but related...I've been working on a new design for my website, using new, up-to-date software. It took a while to learn the new software but I'm getting the hang of it. So far I've finished the home page and all of the major subcategories. The rest of the site consists of hundreds of pages, so I'll only be updating them as needed and as time allows. Anyway, check it out. The link is in my signature...

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill Gill

Ray, I've been reading and working my way through your updated website. Lots of good stuff  :D .

Stuart

Holy cow Ray, looks like you keep your fingers dipped in a variety of interesting projects.  Your web site is impressive.  The Modelers Resource is especially helpful. Thanks.

Stuart

finescalerr

Great guns, Ray, how are we supposed to know whether the photos of your layout are of a model or of an actual mining region? That aside, your website is a useful resource for all kinds of things. Thank you for making it available. -- Russ

Barney

Stuart McPherson