• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Some recent work on the In-ko-pah RR

Started by Ray Dunakin, June 28, 2017, 07:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

The last unfinished task for the hardware store was to add some exterior lights. I experimented with a couple different homemade configurations, but then I found these goose neck lamps from Evan Designs. They come complete with the LEDs. I painted the lamps black, and sealed the surface-mount LED with clear silicone to protect it from the weather:

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Ray Dunakin

The last time I posted any progress on the Princess Shilo Mine was in March 2020, when I built the bridge from the headframe to the ore bin, and a small ore cart to go with it:

In September 2021 I did a bit more work, which has continued off and on ever since. To begin with, I poured a foundation for the mine's hoist house. A copper tube was embedded in foundation for use as a conduit for the wires that will eventually power the mine's lights:

I also started to build up a waste rock dump near the mine using multiple layers of pigmented mortar mixed with red, tan, or white stone grit:

When the waste pile was finished, I built a wooden chute to carry the rock from the headframe to the dump pile. It was a bit tricky because the chute is sloped downward but also turns to one side. My first attempt came out pretty wonky:

On the second try I built the chute in two separate sections. The first section is where they would dump the rock into the chute:

Brass pins hold it in place while allowing it to be removed:

Then I made a test fit with the second section in place. After making sure everything fit right, I glued the two sections together and painted them:

Ray Dunakin's World

Ray Dunakin

In October 2021 I went to work on the hoist house, starting with a crude foam-core mockup to get a feel for how it would fit and what size it could be:

Next I made a new mockup with a different configuration. From this I was able to determine that there was enough space to extend the front room of the building:

At this point I didn't need to build another mockup, but went straight to constructing the building. I cut the major components from 6mm Sintra PVC board, and began gluing them together:

I carved a notch in the wall between the two roofs, to make room for the wires that will be needed to light the interior:

Once the main structure was assembled, I sprayed parts of the interior with flat black paint so they won't show through the opening for the hoist cable:

The interior was built as a separate unit which slides into the rear of the building. I used 3mm Sintra for this, with styrene strips to represent the wood framing:

The interior is fitted with two ceilings, once for each room. These are held in place with small stainless steel screws:

I painted the interior to represent both galvanized and rusted metal on a wooden frame, to roughly match what will be on the exterior of the building:

Ray Dunakin's World

Ray Dunakin

I made a door and two windows for the hoist house, using various pieces of styrene strip, then painted and weathered them:

I also made sheets of corrugated metal using .001" brass shim stock. These were glued to the building with Dynaflex 230, a paintable sealant:

I made a simple rain gutter above the door from a thicker piece of brass sheet:

Around the base of the front room I added some 2mm thick Sintra and textured it to simulate a concrete foundation:

I painted the building to look like the front room was added at a later date. The "original" structure has rusty, ungalvanized metal with a few newer patches, and the front room is covered with galvanized metal. The galvanized look was achieved by spraying those areas with Rustoleum's "Cold Galvanizing Compound".  The rusty sections were painted with iron paint and then treated with a rusting solution. These are sold under the"Sophisticated Finishes" brand. At this stage the rust is a bit too orange but it will darken with exposure to the elements.

I don't know how much of the interior will be visible but I wanted to try making a blacksmith's forge. I built it out of styrene. The "coals" were made by gluing a clear acrylic dome over a hole, and then gluing coarse, white stone grit to the dome. I got this grit from the craft store, and it looks like it's dolomite or something similar. I lightly dry-brushed some grays onto the grit. The lighting effect is achieved with LEDs with flicker at different rates. I got them from Evan Designs. I also built a smoke hood and attached it to the ceiling:

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

I'll say it again: Your layout is just too realistic to be outdoors. Excellent work. The photos of the new lights are all but impossible to tell from photos of a full size town. The mine is shaping up and exhibits overall improvement in design and detail. In other words, everything is adequate. -- Russ

Bill Gill

Ray, Thanks for the updates. That's quite a bit of progress!
I especially like the effect of the charcoal fire for the smithy! That's very convincing. All you need is a tiny speaker in the ceiling with hammering sounds  ;)

TRAINS1941

Ray that is some wonderful additions you have made to the RR.  As always your work in excellent.  Like Russ said to good to be an outside RR.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Ray Dunakin

Continuing on...

I made a large, riveted compressed air tank from styrene tube, with elliptical acrylic domes for the ends. I simulated rivets by embossing them on sheet brass which was then wrapped around the tank. Miniature brass rivets were used on the pipe flange:

I painted the tank with primer, then a coat of iron paint treated with a rusting solution:

The air tank was mounted on a wooden rack at the side of the hoist house. The outer ends of the rack will be supported by the rocks next to the mine:

I also added a goose neck lamp from Evan Designs to the exterior:

The completed hoist house in place on the layout:

Here are a couple shots of the whole mine. In the first photo I used Photoshop to remove the fence and a neighbor's tree from the background:

I haven't run wiring to the mine yet. I also want to add some lights to the headframe and ore bin, and I plan to add a few other details to the scene such as a water tank, fuel tank etc.

Ray Dunakin's World

Bernhard

A really pretty little scene with charming details, Ray. The rust effect on the compressed air tank is great done.

Bernhard

Barney

Looks like a lot progress  to create a delightful little scene - and some very nice rust finishes -  lamps look interesting must have a look at there products
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

finescalerr

Design-HSB

Ray, great work and very beautifully photographed in natural light.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Ray Dunakin

Thanks guys! All these projects have been worked on piecemeal over the past several months which is why I waited to post updates until I had real progress to show. I've also done some maintenance on my plate girder deck bridges, and a pair of large trestles. I have several more trestle left that need work.

Another project I just started is replacing all of the track switches. I originally used Aristocraft "wide" switches, which had a significant design flaw that resulted in frequent derailments and limited trains to running in one direction only. I'm replacing them with much better quality switches from Train-Li, starting with the two switches at the Dos Manos depot siding. These switches are a different length, and have a different turnout radius, so replacing the switches will require some rather tricky track realignments to make everything fit.

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

HI Ray how are you doing?
Great to see your updates .
Cheers Kim

Chuck Doan

Looking good! Those gooseneck lamps are perfect!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/