• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

DEMAG ML15 (engine locomotive with 15hp)

Started by fspg2, May 09, 2018, 11:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

fspg2

@Hauk

QuoteI am planning to use a couple of those motors for some of my own projects, but I am a bit concerened about their power.

So it would be interesting to know if you have done any calculations on the pulling power of your engine.  And have you estimated the weight of your model?

Sorry, I can't give you any precise details about the engine power at the moment. The weight of the locomotive will be around 450gr later.

So that things can continue with the Demag ML15 soon, I asked the caster to print the wheels and the buffers. They were duplicate with silicone molds.

Demag-ML15_Rad_01 (fspg2)

Demag-ML15_Rad_12 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_116 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_117 (fspg2)

The pressure levels disappeared by light sanding. They were barely visible to the naked eye before.

Next time I will get the first master print made in brass and sand it smooth before it will be molded in silicone. Now I have to flatten every single buffer. Time required about 5 minutes per part.

The rounded hood for the Kemna three-wheel roller was printed by the same caster - at that time it came with no visible pressure levels.

Kemna_Walze-Gigant-8_347 (fspg2)

Frithjof

finescalerr

Outstanding quality; beautiful parts. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World

Hauk

And he is back!
With serious eye-candy to all the boggle-eyed kids.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Bernhard

It is always interesting and inspiring to see your work. Post more!

Bernhard

fspg2

Here I milled something for the Demag ML15.

Demag_ML15_Montage_118 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_119 (fspg2)

A 4.5mm brass rod was placed in a 4.5mm deep and 4.5mm wide milled groove and fixed with Tesa tape.
A 1.5mm hole 8.0mm deep was drilled at both ends of the rod. So I was able to secure the rod with two brass pins in the groove against twisting.
Then 2.5mm deep holes were drilled with an 1.4mm cutter (!).
That is, the holes only go to the middle of the bar.
Finally, 2.0mm deep notches were milled close to the milled holes with an 1.0mm cutter.

Demag_ML15_Montage_120 (fspg2)

Because it may be difficult to establish a connection to the small locomotive from the last three pictures, another photo will appear now.
I made the brass rod twice.
In addition, the two 1.5mm holes drilled at the respective ends were used to align the two opposite profiles. 1.5mm brass wires were inserted.
Now the 13 wires (1.4mm in diameter) could be introduced into the opposite blind holes.

No, even if it looks like it will not be a ladder - at the end, only 12 identical parts are required! One part is for exercise ;-)

Demag_ML15_Montage_121 (fspg2)

Originally I wanted to braze the parts.
After two colleagues convinced me to solder the parts softly, I didn't have to "soften" the thin coupling rods.
The stability should also be sufficient, especially since the coupling rods do not transfer any function to the second axis.

Demag_ML15_Montage_122 (fspg2)

The Pertinax gauges kept the two spars at the exact distance when soldering.

Demag_ML15_Montage_123 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_124 (fspg2)

Then the little "ladder" was further processed in a new gauge.

Demag_ML15_Montage_127 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_125 (fspg2)

Before I drilled the 2.2mm holes into the two end plates, all parts were milled to a height of 1.8mm.

Demag_ML15_Montage_126 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_128 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_129 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_130 (fspg2)

Now the two holes were drilled into the coupling rods.

Demag_ML15_Montage_131 (fspg2)

The upper milled recess had the exact dimensions - it turned out to be too tight when removing the coupling rod.
Demag_ML15_Montage_132 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_133 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_134 (fspg2)

Frithjof

Barney

Im with the others  - a lovely bit of miniature engineering
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

finescalerr

A lot of work with exquisite results. -- Russ

Bernhard

Really a lot of work for these small parts. But perfect, as always.

Bernhard

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World

fspg2

Although Christmas has already passed a few days, today it seemed to me again as if there were gifts.

The post brought a small package with fully assembled axles for the Demag ML15.

Since my lathe is still being dismantled and waiting for improvements, a model builder friend has kindly made the effort to finish the casted wheels.

This included cutting off the sprue tree, turning the wheel profile, fitting the insulating bushes, mounting the two wheels with a 90° offset, turning the small dome bolts and fitting them into the wheel bores, ... certainly a number of intermediate steps, which needed probably a lot of time to get all axes identical.

For the next wheels for the Gmeinder 10-12 I will have to add a little more allowance for the tyre, because Achim had to juggle a little, which he managed to do really well! Thanks a lot for this.

Demag_ML15_Montage_145 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_146 (fspg2)

Now I have to mill the four bearing shells out of 20.0mm x 8.0mm MS58.
To do this, I have brought the file that was already created for the Gmeinder 10-12 to the new dimensions.
Since I do without rail power and want to drive with Deltang, the mushroom contacts are omitted.
This makes the two drive blocks significantly shorter.

Demag_ML15_Montage_144 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_136 (fspg2)

The center distance is 35.56mm.

Demag_ML15_Montage_139 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_141 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_143 (fspg2)

Frithjof

finescalerr

He did an excellent job on the wheels and your work on the superstructure is to your usual topnotch standards. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World

Barney

No other words but Excellent - and engineering of quality
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson