• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Durango & Siverton "Fishbelly" Work Flat 6531

Started by David Price, September 16, 2021, 04:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Price

Also finished this project yesterday - the D&SNG's modified D&RGW 6500 class "fish belly" flat #6531.  I saw this car from the back of the Silverton train as we passed it in 2017 and was then inspired by a Jerry Day shot with an excavator as a load coupled up behind K28 #473, which I discovered on the Narrow Gauge Discussion Forum. ( https://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,357845,358121#msg-358121 )

Not being able to get back to Colorado from Australia anytime soon I was very grateful for assistance from Jerry and  Dick Bell - both provided additional shots of the flat car which helped with the build.  Starting point was a San Juan Car Co. 6500 kit with the end chopped of to accommodate the ramped end, loading ramps, chocks in their pockets and rigid coupler bar.

It's not quite the same model John Deere excavator but I wasn't going to scratch-build a 160LC (time poor with too many other projects to do) - both 160LC and 200LC excavators are current units so I figured D&S might have a 200LC on the car at some stage.

(Dick provided me with a great shot of the car with a Cement Truck on it - a future load after I weather a suitable vehicle).

I don't have a K28 as in the shot that inspired me to do this build as I'm not modelling either the D&S or the D&RGW.  My main focus is the Victorian (State) Railways 2'6" narrow gauge, as well as timber logging lines (what we call timber tramways) .

I managed to get the ramp hinges to work with the double pivots as well as the slide-out rigid coupling – lettering is pretty close to the prototype but not exact (I would have had to measure on site & create custom decals to be perfect).

Not museum quality but I'm reasonably satisfied with the end result given I couldn't get to measure the actual car – also had some valuable assistance in lettering with a side on shot from Dick Bell. 

Would be interested in comments on this - I understand from the Narrow Gauge Discussion Group that some don't like the car because of it's modifications..........

Regards,

David P
Cheers,

David Price

bellarinerailway.com.au/ourtrains/

Bill Gill

I model standard gauge, HO, therefore not qualified to "not like" the modified car, so I can say without reservation that it looks terrific.

finescalerr

The Narrow Gauge Discussion Group may have different goals than you. I find the model creative and well executed. It could have existed had you been the railroad's owner. -- Russ

1-32

Hi David.
Did you have another post I was going to comment on it but on a 1-87 scale it looks great?
cheers Kim

David Price

Hi Kim,

scale is 1:48 and gauge On30 - or On3 if I want to be true to the prototype by changing the bogies (trucks) - not sure why you thought it was 1:87?

My other recent post is the 1:48 Tugger on a ET&WNC flat modified to suit my future layout - shots are taken on a small switching layout loosely based on John Allen's "Timesaver".

Cheers,

dp
Cheers,

David Price

1-32

Hi David.
My mistake O scale should have read the whole description.
cheers

David Price

Quote from: finescalerr on September 16, 2021, 01:21:14 PM
The Narrow Gauge Discussion Group may have different goals than you. I find the model creative and well executed. It could have existed had you been the railroad's owner. -- Russ

Hi Russ,

think you misunderstood me - what I meant was some of the guys on the Narrow Gauge Discussion Group don't like what the Durango & Silverton did to the real 6531 - this is Jerry's photo which inspired me to do the build (I'm sure he won't mind me posting it here):

Cheers,

David Price

David Price

And a couple of detail shots of the ramp end.
Cheers,

David Price

Ray Dunakin

It looks fantastic, and you did a great job with those ramps!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

WP Rayner

Very nice re-creation... excellent work on the ramps and the weathering.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Barney

Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson