• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

ace radium 1-32n 20

Started by 1-32, September 03, 2013, 01:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Kim, can you be a little more specific? Are you suggesting glass by painting another material or are you airbrushing the back side of an actual glass pane? -- Russ

1-32

hey russ
the windows i paint them on thick card or cardboard.
i tried building them but the thickness of the glazing bar become a pain and any that were out of square stood out like dogs -.
so get a bit of card prime,then quickly paint with a base colour even colour with air brush at a low pressure so the mist spits a bit.get a tube of white water colour dilute till the colour is very thin, flood window so the base airbrush layer shows through.detail with fine paint strokes of darker colour.add any other details a needed
so there it is of course over time all this will be modified.
kind regards kim

1-32

hi all there is a warning in red ink-'this topic has not been posted in for a least 120 days" it seems longer but i am back plodding along.same idear but completely different approach.this is a very small base using large scale narrow gauge.i am now elavating the spur to be 50mm[2 inches] above the base water.the loop still will go behind the scene this is 30 mm[1.5 inches] above the base water.looking at the factoy i feel that is too heigh i need to lower it as i want to get into framed skyes between roofs.my material of choice is hoop pine ply wood lovely finish.i hate laying track but it is nearly done.
regards kim.

finescalerr

1-32

hi all.
ace radium is getting its grades and concrete retaining walls constructed is this update.what i will do is to rough in all the base structures and apply a bit of colour.i will then pour the tinted resin water base over a detailed lagoon bottom.after all this dries and there is no danger of damage from the resin i will proceed.
regards.

finescalerr

Coming together. Thanks for the update. -- Russ

Barney

Looking good and coming on nicely - will you be using much of the 1st version
Barney

1-32

hi russ and barney.
my intentions are usually different from the reality of actually keeping anything.over the last 20 years i have built  9 seperate displays when i move on i say to myself i should reuse bits and pieces but they never fit even the raw materials are moved on.i keep some bits but they are put on the shelves or new homes are found.every one of those displays has tough me something my feeling about ;blue top salvage;is that it had too much detail and it was hard to get a focal point i will see if i can resist it and make it more focused this time with ace radium.
with the earlier version of ace radium i was going about it the wrong way i was building from the top down and guess what all the pieces did not fit.even though it is boaring what i am building now will give me a solid base .
fotki is down so no pictures.
kind regards kim

Chuck Doan

I'm glad to see some progress!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

1-32

hi all now for resin water,still green slimy variety for this i am going to use 2 part epoxy, warning use in a very well ventilated space and some special dies to add colour.
my process is .
1- prime the base.
2-colour your base with a variety of tones.
3-level your base.
4-mix your 2 parts and add a bit of dye of this pour it took about 1.5 litres to a depth of 5 mm.
5-pour.
6- add some darker dyes to the scarey places in my case under the buildings where the locks are[at the back].
this should take 5 days to dry just before it goes off you can add texture.
kind regards kim.

finescalerr

Well, you seem to be pretty proficient at that step .... -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Nice. Looks like lots of algae in that water.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

hi ray and russ
usually i wold not pour the water at this early stage but seeing that the expoxy resin creeps up the side of walls an makes a quarter round fnish the choice was simple.i will add more stains to the moss green water plus algie.the walls of the water line structures , piles and the locks come next they are seperate units.but of course before any of this i have to finish the darn track
regards kim

1-32

good morning all.
well it is nearly the end of 2014 and ace radium is slowly raising off the base board.i have finished the first fix of the track and building the structures.you can see my idear of getting the track behind the base board and treating the entrance to the to the central lagoon.in that black space are getting lock gates-rusty slimey.
the rest of the spaces are coming together in my thooughts remember that i make all of this up no blue prints or 3d printing.
regards kim.

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World