• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Burning barrels

Started by johngeigle, January 05, 2014, 10:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johngeigle

Just finished these barrels for the Bulldozer diorama. used lead sheet burnished over a plastic 1/24th scale barrel. A little Styrene disc for the bottom to give it structure, I will be adding rust and a screen for the burning barrel.

Ray Dunakin

Nice! Are the edges of the lead sheet glued together? How thick is it?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

eTraxx

Remember having to take a pick and knock holes in the bottom of the burn barrel for water to run out. When it was filled up would put it in a wheel barrel and 'tote' it into the woods to dump it. They would only last so long .. the heat would make it rust really fast .. dang ... That was 50 years ago ..
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

johngeigle

Rusty Barrels

The lead sheet is about .015 thick.

johngeigle

Quote from: eTraxx on January 05, 2014, 07:08:30 PM
Remember having to take a pick and knock holes in the bottom of the burn barrel for water to run out. When it was filled up would put it in a wheel barrel and 'tote' it into the woods to dump it. They would only last so long .. the heat would make it rust really fast .. dang ... That was 50 years ago ..

I did the same thing as a kid had to dump the barrel in the rock pit  behind our house. Good time Good times  ;)

chester

Ditto on the throwing 'em out back. They made great targets. We poked holes around the base to get air under the fire.

johngeigle

Quote from: chester on January 06, 2014, 05:44:44 PM
Ditto on the throwing 'em out back. They made great targets. We poked holes around the base to get air under the fire.

Note the bullet holes in the barrel on its side. That is why we took them to the gravel pit ;D

johngeigle

you cannot see them but there are entry and exit holes

Lawton Maner

My burn barrel is much darker around the lower half where the fire is on the inside. You have given us a very good rendition of a barrel which hasn't been used for a while. When mine gets about 1/2 full, I tip it over, shovel the ash into the trailer behind my lawn tractor and dump the ashes in the woods behind my neighbor's house.

Lightengine

As teenagers we rolled one of these sealed drums onto the bonfire at the end of Guy Fawkes night.  For about 20 minutes an occasional booming noise could be heard and we thought nothing more of it.  Next morning we went across the field to the bonfire site.  The complete circular end of the barrel had blown off and shot 200-300 yards across the field, hit the side wall of a house and landed in their orchard.  The interior of the drum was a lovely grey all over