• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Passenger Truck Question

Started by EZnKY, September 16, 2012, 07:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZnKY

Once I finished the wheels, which was back in February, I started assembling the Bob Hartford trucks.  I'm keeping the original 5'-0" wheelbase since the second coach will be longer than the one I'm scratchbuilding.  This made things a LOT easier since I could use the stock equalizers, etc.  I did make a second set of the Ohio Falls Car Company pedestal overlays so the trucks will have something of a family appearance with the first set.

I'm also using the same kind of pinstriping on both sets of trucks, which will also help with consistency.

Here's a shot of most of the parts to the second set of trucks.  I've got the color base coat on everything, and I'm just about ready to start final assembly.
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

EZnKY

And here's a similar shot of the first set of trucks with the shorter wheelbase.  They're in the same state - mostly painted and ready to start assembly. 
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

EZnKY

There's a lot of parts in passenger car trucks...
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

EZnKY

So the next step is deciding how far to take the weathering.  I want them to be about halfway between freshly painted and these trucks in Durango.  I'm going to do some test painting on some plastic Bachmann passenger trucks first.  And that's where I am right now.

Have a happy 4th! 
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

Allan G

Eric; looks great! How did you get the "copy" on one of them?  Allan

EZnKY

Allan,
The copy is etched on a 0.010" sheet brass overlay that is glued to the face of the wheels.  If you go ALL the way back to the first page in this thread you can see how I did it.  This was my first attempt at photoetching and I've gotten better since then.  It's also gotten easier to get more predictable results with practice.
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

Chuck Doan

These are looking great Eric! I'm surprised by how many parts there are.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Bill Gill

Eric, Your thread has held my interest. A while back I tried to detail an old HO scale Mantua Civil War gondola for a friend just getting into model railroading. Nothing remotely like your level of work, but the weathering on the finished truck looks something like the photo you posted today of the trucks in Durango. Here are a couple looks at it:
1. There was no way to remove the original plastic wheel sets from the trucks without breaking something, so they had to stay.
2. Here are the parts (On3laser cut brake shoes, drafting Mylar hanging straps) before painting
3. The original Mantua truck, one with just the end beams, one with brakes.
4. On the gondola

Bill Gill

And perhaps this might be of assistance for your trucks, or maybe it will just add another question: Why are there three different size links on this prototype safety chain?

Ray Dunakin

Great stuff!

In a way, those paper wheels were ahead of their time -- a precursor to modern composite materials.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

EZnKY

Nice work Bill, especially at that scale!

The safety chains are very interesting.  I've seen a bunch of different ways or securing them to the sill on the car, and to the truck itself.  But I've never seen the hook kind of in the middle of the chain like that.
Might need to do some research on that...
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

finescalerr

Don't obscure the beautiful pin striping; keep the weathering subtle. -- Russ