• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacq01

The 2 middle modules are nearly finished. some more trees and tonight the water of the pond.

A lot of trees finished  :P :P  Some more to go and these units are ready for final detailing and weathering.

The unloader rigged up. The mechanisme to unload the logs is ready to be installed.

When the water is painted a lot of logs to be prepared for the pond.

View from the workshop side.  The sheet in the background is covering the H0 layout.
1 September this layout will be transported to Kiruna in Lappland. A trip of 2700km ( 1700 miles) one way.
together with a friend we make it a nice holiday trip. The layout will be set up temporary in a prepared area till a
new special hobby building is ready. Then it will be installed permantely.

watertank under construction. As I have a spare connection on the servo decoder, i am checking a possibilty to make the spout operational.

After 10 -11 September when back from Sweden, the Sawmill layout will be set up complete.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

The trees seem less realistic than the rest of the diorama. Can you apply some kind of material to better suggest what you are trying to represent? Every other aspect of the diorama is wonderful and the enhancements have been very effective. -- Russ

lab-dad

I agree about the trees, may be some fine "real" material? or some leaves?

On the water spout;
When my daughter was littler, she always stopped for water when running the trains. I modified a switch machine and used a sound unit from miller Models. Now when a train pulls up, we hit the switch, the sound comes on and the spout lowers. When the tank is full the spout goes back up.
Seems to be a hit with everyone.

-Marty

shropshire lad

Quote from: lab-dad on August 23, 2010, 05:57:26 AM
I agree about the trees, may be some fine "real" material? or some leaves?

On the water spout;
When the tank is full the spout goes back up.
-Marty

Do you use real water in the tank ? ...Sorry , I was only askin' ,

Nick

lab-dad

QuoteDo you use real water in the tank ? ...Sorry , I was only askin' ,

Nick

Of course not! Thats silly. We use chicken fat!

mabloodhound

The fibers used on the trees look too long and interconnected.
Possibly some judicious use of scissors and cutting the pine needles shorter would help.
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

finescalerr

"Do you use real water in the tank ? ...Sorry , I was only askin'"
"Of course not! Thats silly. We use chicken fat!"

Finally! I have been waiting for somebody on this forum to discover the multifaceted uses of chickenfat! Makes paint, lasers, rapid prototyping, machine tools, and computers obsolete!

ssuR

JohnP

Runs cars too apparently. Just the thing for that diesel Rabbit I always wanted. And I know I can have chickens in the yard in the city here, 'cuz on my bike ride Sunday I heard a rooster in a regular small-lot old neighborhood.

Russ, your last post for this thread was number 666. I had to post something and quick...

John

John Palecki

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: finescalerr on August 24, 2010, 01:08:20 PM
Finally! I have been waiting for somebody on this forum to discover the multifaceted uses of chickenfat! Makes paint, lasers, rapid prototyping, machine tools, and computers obsolete!
ssuR
Yeah but, what does it do for all those thong-clad cuties...

Paul

finescalerr

JohnP

All natural suntan oil, whatever else could it be used for? ::)
John Palecki

jacq01

Trees on the foreground will be replaced and the background trees will have a "haircut" to eliminate the randomness of the branches.

1-11 September I will be in North Sweden, assembling the H0 lay out.
  When back, I am able to set up the complete Sawmill diorama.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

Promises, promises. And I suppose the check's in the mail, too. -- ssuR

jacq01

still a 100 miles to go..!!

I'll be back 12 September

Jacq
I am what I remember.

jacq01

1 September we started on a 2800km trip to Jukkasjarvi,  20 km from Kiruna in North Sweden.
  When entering Denmark, we were scrutinised by th police and costums on the content of the van.  As it was not possible to look inside the boxes, without unloading, the complete van went through a very large mobile X-ray machine. Than the drugs dog was used. One of the policeman thought the bottom of the loading area was very thick, but after a danish discussion, we were allowed to continue..... In my opinion he watched "The french connection" too much.

Tol on both bridges is hefty, the Sealand bridge Euro 97 and the Oresund bridge Euro 78  one way.  Diesel prices are comparable.  From Malmo to Kiruna is some 1800km. All went very well, good hotels, good food made the trip well worth. 

in the neighborhood of Umea.  This was one of the last ferry crossings in the E4

still 180 km to go......... ( 15degr C)

this is the E10 "autobahn"  in Lappland.  Reideer herds, like this small one, cross regulary.   Max speed is 110km with 70/90 km at crossings.
At nearly evry speed restriction camera poles. And not one vandalised!!!!!!!!

Saturday the 4th we arrived around 15.30h at our destinatin near Kiruna
On Sunday we started building up the layout  in a rebuilt part of a warehouse / garage in the neighbourhood. The room has isolated walls and roof with a parquet floor and complet  climate control.  On Monday morning we unpacked and finalised setting up and trains running. The points and signals system would not start. Some essential parts have been shipped to the manufacturer for control. When reinstalled, a reprogramming might be necessary.

That afternoon, an excursion into the mines in Kiruna was organised for us. We went with a bus to the mine's museum, 575m under the ground. Impressive...
When we entered daylight again, a big surprise awaited us, as we received a private excursion through the LKAB locomotive workshops  where the giant IORE and DM3 locomotives were maintained

Iore loco

Dm3

In the last type I was allowed to drive 30 meters. A once in a lifetime experience, controling 275 tons

The next day we started for Stockholm. Sightseeing is definitely NOT one of my favourites, but the Vasa museum was worth all the trouble.

Since back, I am spending full time on preparing the sawmill layout for the Warley show end of November. With 2 weeks time, when landscaping will be finished, the layout will be assembled for electrical tests and running trains.

Jacq

I am what I remember.