• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacq01

Engine house: 

here some shots of the engines under construction and a mock up of the cut through engine house.

All are twin cilinder engines:  2x 220hp ( western scale models) and 1x 100hp ( SierraWest CHB)  for the beltdrives
  I am looking for a way to tie the generator into the belt system of the 100hp engine or use a vertical engine.

Piping layout and raised platforms ( expanded metal) are under construction.

Vertical belt tensioners will be on the outside

Building set up is based on the boiler- and engine houses of the Hume-Bennett mill. 

due to the module edge and the orientation of the buildings, the cut away line of the roof looks odd.

Maybe I have to change the roof orientation of the engine house 90 degrees and make the roofs of the boilerhouse and engine house parallel.
  comments are welcome.

A question on storage items:

What sort of barrels /drums etc were used around 1910.
  55 gallon drums came in use just prior to / during WW II  so they cannot be used. 
  I am looking for items in which the large amounts of grease and lube oil needed for all gears, etc were transported and stored prior to WW I.

Jacq

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

lab-dad

QuoteMaybe I have to change the roof orientation of the engine house 90 degrees and make the roofs of the boilerhouse and engine house parallel.

I think it would look a lot better than what is mocked up. Also add some continuity to the two structures.

-Marty

Hauk

Quote from: jacq01 on March 22, 2010, 06:37:43 AM

A question on storage items:

What sort of barrels /drums etc were used around 1910.
  55 gallon drums came in use just prior to / during WW II  so they cannot be used. 
  I am looking for items in which the large amounts of grease and lube oil needed for all gears, etc were transported and stored prior to WW I.

Jacq

Even if the images are dated 1922, they at least shows a type of steel oil drum in use quite a few years earlier than WWII.

The drums  does´nt look spanking new, and my guess is that this type of drum could have been invented before WWI.

Before the steel drums were invented, wooden barrels was used for oil products. Industrial production of wooden barrels for oil products started in the 1870´s. In Norway these barrels was required by law to have the tops and bottoms painted red as a warning of the  inflamable content.

In the US,  by 1866 the oil barrel was standardized at 42 US gallons, so wooden barrels of this size might be your safest bet.

Regards, Håvard H
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

finescalerr

Regarding roof lines, the only disturbing thing is the way the front part of the mock-up roof of the engine house looks going at the angle from right to left. A brainlessly easy fix would be to leave off the front part of the roof. (If you still think it's necessary, then model only a small portion from the right-hand wall to the ridge, perhaps only an inch or two wide.) -- Russ

marc_reusser

Jacq,

I think the problem is the current separation between the engine and boiler house....looks very awkward....the Hume-Bennet boiler and engine house were connected...a single structure.....this would make the roof lines as you have them work fine...and be prototypical.  I think putting both roofs the same as the main mill or boilerhouse will look very awkward and boring.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Philip Smith

Were you planning a cut-a-way showing the machinery/rafters/etc? I think all the details would look great exposed.

Philip     

jacq01

Philip,

QuoteWere you planning a cut-a-way showing the machinery/rafters/etc?

Yes, from the start onward I intended to show an open engine house and boiler house with cut out of a dutch brick fire tube boiler.
  the way the roof line of the engine house came out, doesn't look right.

An alternative is show the roof covered on the far side of the apaex and only the joists / rafters on the near side. This gives parallel lines
  and a nice accent on the near side.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Philip Smith

Jacq,

I was doing a search and came up with this image from this site.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/bloggers/2394509/posts

There was a hunt and this was the findings.

I heard back from the Director of Archives and Collections at the Petroleumn Museum today. She said that the drum appears to be from the time period 1870 - 1911. Standard Oil was broken up in 1911 into different companies. She says that the "Standard Oil Co." and serial number on the top support dating the drum to that period.

She said that her museum has a similar drum from Magnolia Company (later Socony-Mobil). Their drum came from an old gas station and was used to pump oil and gasoline. She thinks my drum had a similar purpose.

This might be correct for rolling around your mill/etc. I thought is was neat.   Philip

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Carlo

Jacq - This may be way off topic, and I may need to go stand in Russ' corner but...

I've been looking for the source of your Tom Waits quote. He's one of my favorites, but I can't remember hearing these words before:

"What's he building in there? What the hell is he building in there?
He has subscriptions to those magazines...
He never waves when he goes by
He's hiding something from the rest of us..." -Tom Waits

Carlo

marc_reusser

Jacq,

I have an old catalog from a mfr that made drums, barrels, containers and all sorts of stuff that went along with them....there must at least several dozen styles and sizes if not more.....I will scan some of the most relevant pages......I can either send them to you direct, or if there is interest from others in seeing them, I can post them in this thread.

Marc

M-Works

Philip Smith

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on March 23, 2010, 11:21:39 AM
Nice find, Philip!

Ray, That drum is not my property. I found it browsing. I was rushing when I found it......... :-[

Marc, I'd be interested in seeing it pinned  in Jacq's thread! 

Philip

marc_reusser

Okay...here are some Barrels.  Catalog is likely from around 1925.....sorry no 1910. I don't know how widely all these shapes were used.....some may be a specific design/variation to this mfr....but others were definitely a common design that I have seen from other mfrs as well. As you can see from the scans most of these were task/use/content designed.  Barrels or drums used as shipping containers had to meet specifications from Rules of Consolidated Freight Classification, which governed such things as metal gauge (thickness), material, capacity, embossing, name , labeling, caps, covers, plugs, tops, etc., in relation to content and size of barrel/drum.

From the appearance of the catalog cuts, frontis info, and other items in it, the company was likely around from 1910-20 as well......but I have no idea how much their product line changed/expanded from then to when this issue/version of their catalog was published.

M-Works

marc_reusser

M-Works

marc_reusser

M-Works