• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Formlabs has started to ship the Form1 printer...

Started by Hauk, June 14, 2013, 04:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

...and the reviews are starting to appear.

This is the most extencive one I have seen so far

Its a very informative read. It seems that both the printer and software could need some further upgrades. But I still think this is the most promesing personal 3D-printer.

More info on the Formlabs website

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Andi Little

KBO..................... Andi.

finescalerr

In a sense it is analogous to the development of dot matrix printers. After that invention, it took years for 300 dpi laser printers to evolve, and then another half decade to offer 600 dpi resolution, the first really acceptable level. Professional desktop printing may require 1200 dots and above.

If 3D evolution goes the same way, it may be a while before a 3D printer is ready for "prime time" mainstream model work. Still, depending on the item, very good results soon may be possible.

Russ

mabloodhound

After reading the review I think Russ is right (as always).   The quality and detail just isn't there with the home printers.   I'll stick with Shapeways as they currently offer a satisfactory product for my needs.   But it is interesting following the development of the new 3D products.
8)
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Hauk

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

finescalerr

Yes, it appears his results already have moved from dot matrix to early inkjet. Can't wait to see the close-ups. -- Russ

behr_island

I am currently working a 1:19th scale (SM32/45) project that I will send to FormLabs for a test run to see if their equipment would be suitable for my needs. The price point and the build window is ideal for my intent.

I am also going to send a 1:19th project test run to Shapeways for use as comparison. I cannot see using Shapeways as a vendor due to the turnaround time involved, and besides, I want everything in house.

Tis should be interesting for me coming from a machinist perspective, well versed in CNC machining.

For those of you looking into CNC machining, LinuxCNC is a nice way to go for lower cost of ownership.

-Wayde

marc_reusser

Wayde,

Thanks for posting...look forward to your results and experiences. Please keep us posted.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works