• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/2"-Scale Lumber Stacker

Started by Ken Hamilton, October 30, 2009, 09:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Hamilton

Thanks, guys.  I'm anxious to see how tis one turns out myself.

Rick:  Again, I really appreciate your time and trouble sending along those photos.  Thanks.

Mike:  Chester did a pretty good job in the Cheering Section (Thanks, Chester.  BTW, there
WILL be some figures in the diorama).  Kalmbach commissioned the book, offered practically ZERO
promotion in the four years it was on the shelves, then pulled it and most of their other model car
related books in 2005.  I bought as many as I could (they offered me a whopping 40% off the cover
price) before the rest went to the shredder, but I've since sold all I got.  Amazon has a few for
about $100 or so and very so often one show up on eBay.

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

MrBrownstone

Thanks Ken,

I will see if I can find one...  ;)

Mike

finescalerr

Ken, isn't Kalmbach just an all around great outfit? One of these days we should trade horror stories. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Ken

Looks like your off to a great start.  It'll be great following this thread to.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

mobilgas

Ken,   i have the book....you say amazom wants 100 bucks for a copy??? What do they sell for on E-bay?  Craig

Ken Hamilton

Quote from: mobilgas on November 02, 2009, 09:56:47 AM
What do they sell for on E-bay? 
Depends.  There was one on eBay about a year ago with an opening bid of $45 that didn't sell.

Here's one for you:
One guy wrote to me shortly after the book was pulled and said he paid an insane $275 for it on Amazon...
Just when I was feeling pretty pumped up thinking the book was in such demand, I got an e-mail
from another guy who found a copy at a Yard Sale for 50-cents.....

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

MrBrownstone

Hey Ken,

When I get one ... I'll turn it into an E-Book for you so you will always have a copy for someone if needed
(you can sell those too)

Criag:
You ask about e-bay... Are you looking to part with your copy?

Mike

mobilgas

Mike,    I want to keep my copy... if i run into another copy ill let you know.   Craig

NORCALLOGGER

Hey Ken,
Coming soon to a mail box near you!
Later
Rick Marty

Ken Hamilton

Quote from: NORCALLOGGER on November 02, 2009, 04:32:01 PM
Hey Ken,
Coming soon to a mail box near you!
Oh, man....I can't wait.
Thanks, Rick

UPDATE:  The disc came yesterday, Rick.  GREAT photos!!
(You've got a PM)

Thanks again.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

marc_reusser

Ken,

This is just so freaking cool!......Thanks.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

shropshire lad

Quote from: Ken Hamilton on November 02, 2009, 12:06:25 PM
Quote from: mobilgas on November 02, 2009, 09:56:47 AM
What do they sell for on E-bay? 
Depends.  There was one on eBay about a year ago with an opening bid of $45 that didn't sell.

Here's one for you:
One guy wrote to me shortly after the book was pulled and said he paid an insane $275 for it on Amazon...
Just when I was feeling pretty pumped up thinking the book was in such demand, I got an e-mail
from another guy who found a copy at a Yard Sale for 50-cents.....

I picked up my copy a year ago at the model shop down the road from George Sellios's place in Peabody for the cover price of $18.95 . They obviously didn't know that they had a rare work of literature on their hands . But I did !
  I wonder how many other copies of it there are in the UK ?

Nick

Ken Hamilton

Thanks for all the comments.  Nick, I'm glad you got a copy of the book.  Hope you like it.

The disc of photos of the truck-mounted stacker from Rick Marty just about changed the
whole direction of the project - for the better. The details in those photos are just
wonderful and HAD to be incorporated in the model. Thanks again, Rick. 

The front leaf springs were scrapped in favor of this pivot-type suspension system.   The axle
was retained; the wishbone is a brass angle with a 000-120  machine screw soldered to the end....

Everything is pinned for alignment....

Here's what it'll look like all together.  Two nuts will hold the pin on the crossmember....

The rear spring was deep-sixed, too.  The rear will be U-bolted to the brackets.....

Heidi demonstrates how flexible the new suspension system is.....

All new motor mounts were installed, too.  Wait'll you see the rest of the drive train.
The reference photos from Rick showed a really unique operating system.

More to come.  Thanks for looking.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

RoughboyModelworks

Very interesting chassis Ken... the one on the lumber stacker's coming along nicely too... ;)

Paul

finescalerr

No thong bikini; I prefer the stacker chassis. And of course it is outstanding so far. -- Russ