• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Russian ChTZ S-65 Tractor

Started by marc_reusser, March 12, 2012, 02:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Gordon,

Great to see you starting to play around on this. Keep it going.

What do you mean when it's "released", on the Whippet? Are they re-releasing it? I have the EMHAR whippet kit, and the tracks are miserable...they are the old rubber-band style. I actually had to hunt down a rare out of production PE set for the tracks on this...and they are not that super either (but better than the kit ones).

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Barney

Emhar Whippet kit -I would not bother with unless you want rubber band tracks -Accurate Armour have some nice ones for Whippets and plate track for Mk 1V,s
Barney

http://www.accurate-armour.com/showaaproducts.cfm?category=12&subcategory=94

Gordon Ferguson

OK chaps, thanks for the warning .................. although I thought this one was a new release ?

Gordon

marc_reusser

Gordon, I have the Accurate Armor tracks as well....and I am usually a big fan of. AA.....but let's just say these are less than stellar....compared to the S65 tracks, they look like bumpy resin strips. They are useable if hidden/covered with copious amounts of muck. I know you could scratch a much better set.

M-Works

james_coldicott

Just a quick pic of a real Whippet for anyone that may be interested...

James

Mr Potato Head

C'mon james! That's not a Whippet! This is a Whippet! LOL
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

marc_reusser

M-Works

W.P. Rayner

Phew.... for a moment there I thought we were going to see chaps with chaps and whips... :o

Paul

marc_reusser

Rained all day yesterday, so I couldn't paint, so worked a bit more on this build.

Still lots of little details and wiring to go; then comes the engine. The tracks are a lot of work (2 hours to build 11 links), but they are very nice.

The steel plate detail is just mocked-up to see how it looks. The detail came from the attached image below.

M-Works

Scratchman

Marc great progress. That is a nice looking kit. I like the steel plate detail.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

marc_reusser

Thanks Gordon.

I like the plate as well, just not sure yet if I have I like the proportions...maybe have it a bit closer to the radiator. The finished one will also be of .010 styrene instead of .015.

M

M-Works

Wesleybeks

Fantastic stuff marc.

That ref picture is a real beauty. Will you be going for the same sort of look as it?
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

LesTindall

That looks a great kit and at a reaonable price.  Looks like my "scrapyard" on the diaorama is going to be rather full!    Could you bring one along next meet Gordon?    Les T

marc_reusser

Thanks Wesley. Yes, that is the general condition/look I will be shooting for on mine, however it wil not be yellow. As my timeframe is c. 1970-80s, Have not decided whether  to leave it in the russian green or German grey that it would have been from the war...or tone of those base colors with a later overpaint color...say maybe orange, red, or blue.  I personally dont like doing orange and red on heavily weathered vehicles, because the weathering doesn't "pop" as well, and it is much more digfficult to do.

Some more ref pics I am using atteched.

M-Works

marc_reusser

Two more

M-Works