• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Russian ChTZ S-65 Tractor

Started by marc_reusser, March 12, 2012, 02:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

I needed to get away from work and painting/weathering, so I took a couple of evenings to build the new Trumpeter kit.

It's a beautifully detailed, engineered and molded kit. Went together with minimal flash clean-up, ans only minor slot/tab and hole reaming. I liked it so much, I have a second one on the way. Texture was added with Mr. Surfacer, and additional nuts/bolts/rivets are from 'Grandt Line' and 'McLeod'.

This one will be built as scrapped/scavenged, and sytill has a long way to go,...but for now this is where I am in the build of the basic kit.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

pwranta193

I've just started eye-ing these from afar - good to hear that it's a nice little kit, since Trumpeter can be a bit hit and miss sometimes.  I've got this and the MiniArt Gaz-AAA on the list for an upcoming project, so I may have to drop the hammer and place the order.  This is the one that some nit-pickers are upset with because it comes with the engine covered (while most comments I've seen have are pretty darn happy with it)?
Paul

"Did I mention this is a bad idea?"

Junior

Nice clean job on that one Marc. Looking forward to the progress on this one AS WELL  ;D! We all know it will look great!

Anders

Seattle Dave

Hmmmm.....I bet that could be built with some small modifications to come out close to a small Cletrac in 1/24 scale too, just judging from the proportions.  Might have to pick up one of those.
Dave VanderWal

Mr Potato Head

Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: Seattle Dave on March 12, 2012, 10:23:20 AM
Hmmmm.....I bet that could be built with some small modifications to come out close to a small Cletrac in 1/24 scale too, just judging from the proportions.  Might have to pick up one of those.

I was thinking the same thing! It definitely has some kitbashing potential for 1/24th scale.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Paul; I agree on the Trumpy kits...but I was really awed by the quality of this one...better than any of the DML kits I have messed with. Screw the nit pickers...most of those guys will never build one anyway..or at the very least a high enough qaulity one where the engine will make a difference....and those that want the engine can go to LZ for it.

Gil; Thanks, yes am aware of Libors Motor....waiting for him to get the PE parts from the fabricator, so he package the kits.

Ray/Dave; I think that "The Lord of Bits & Pieces" (Gordon/gfadvance)...is already working towards bashing a model into 1/24 using this kit.

The only thing I am really dreading is building the the tracks...gaaack....each link has to be built out of three seperate pieces....each of thopse pieces has at least two sprue connectione, plus 1 to 2 overflow gate connections......simply removing them from the sprues tages forever...never mind how long it's going to take to ctrim and clean each piece (BTW...the nit pickers that are complaining about lack of engine, will probably also never build the kit, because they are likely  too lazy...or to busy arm-chair modeling, to build up these tracks.)

M-Works

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on March 12, 2012, 11:19:37 PM

The only thing I am really dreading is building the the tracks...gaaack....each link has to be built out of three seperate pieces....each of thopse pieces has at least two sprue connectione, plus 1 to 2 overflow gate connections......simply removing them from the sprues tages forever...never mind how long it's going to take to ctrim and clean each piece (BTW...the nit pickers that are complaining about lack of engine, will probably also never build the kit, because they are likely  too lazy...or to busy arm-chair modeling, to build up these tracks.)

You could always wait for Fruil Models to bring out a set of metal tracks for it .

Initially I thought that there wouldn't be any where I could use a WWII Russian crawler tractor , but then I remembered that I am ostensibly modelling Post-War German industrial narrow gauge , possibly East Germany , so I guess there is every possibility that there might have been one around . Doh!

Looking forward to seeing this one progress ,

Nick

Wesleybeks

After seeing how cool this one is, I bought 1 this morning aswell as ordered the engine upgrade from lz models.

Im looking forward to seeing your progress Marc.
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

Ray Dunakin

Is there anywhere in the USA that sells this kit, or would I have to order from "across the pond"?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Wesleybeks

Theres a couple on flea bay Ray. Thats where I got mine.
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

marc_reusser

I bought both of mine online at Great Models. Think they are somewhere on the east coast.

http://www.greatmodels.com/

Here a direct link to the kit page:

http://www.greatmodels.com/~smartcart/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=TSM5538

Marc

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

As one of the main reasons for purchasing this kit , well for me , was the tracks thought a few pictures of them might help everyone else

One point .......... for reasons that I will not bore you with I have narrowed down the tracks shoes by 2mm on either side

Each track is built individually, and can then be clipped together which leaves the track fully articulated.

As Marc mentioned its not quick, however have found that placing a number of the track shoes on some d/sided tape. then gluing on the internal link sides helps, you can also leave the final cleaning up on the sides until the glue sets when it is a bit easier.

But the end result is superb , wonderful tracks that compliment the quality of the rest of the kit
Gordon

Andi Little

Hey Gordon - so that's why you've been so quiet lately? ................. Actually if you're fiddling with this as a means to transposing it to 1:24 I need to know what you're playing at.

Plus, I was aware of this kit, but didn't know it was available yet; - where did you get yours from??
KBO..................... Andi.

Gordon Ferguson

Oh that would spoil the surprise Andi  :D

You will get it here

http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/trumpeter-135-russian-chtz-s-65-tractor-model-kit/

I have 2 and am saving up to get some more ............ its a great kit

Also interested in this when its released ............... tracks look wonderful for a crawler crane ala Priestman.

http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/emhar-135-mk-1a-whippet-wwi/
Gordon