• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/48 Steel Side-Tip Dump Cars

Started by marc_reusser, December 25, 2007, 01:46:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Thanks Jon. 

BTW. I haven't forgotten/flaked I will drop you a line in the next day or so.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

Excellent work as always Marc...

Bill

Shadow Pines RR

Ask and thy shall recieve... Thank you Marc and Russ.  I will give it a try, dont know if I will invest into a tripod but possibley a nice cardboard box.
Regards

marc_reusser

Today was a lot of time for a small amount of progress.

Two of the cars are to receive painted on stenciled numbers. This needed to be applied prior to adding the dust/dirt weathering.

To create the numbers, I used the photo-etched brass HO number-board pieces as stencils. (they are a bit smaller than I preferred, but the smallest 1/35 ones I had were too big). The stencils were attached to each end of the dump bodies using Tamiya masking tape; then the rest of the car was masked  to protect from overspray.

The stencils were then airbrushed using Valejo Acrylics off white. The upper portion of the stencils/numbers received more paint coverage than the lower portion.

The Numbers after the masking and stencil were removed.

Because at this point the numbers are to neat and white in contrast with the car (even though they are meant to represent numbers that were painted on in the more recent past). Using a Gunze 2000 grit sanding screen, the numbers were carefully sanded to give a more weathered/worn/aging appearance. The sanding also helps remove any raised edge that can occur around the numbers when using/spraying stencils.

The finished, "screened" numbers.

And so it continues.....

Marc

M-Works

azflyer2001

Marc,

The dump cars look great!!! I never would have thought to use HO number-board pieces as stencils, great idea. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

Travis in Mesa

chester

Marc, Just wanted to share this photo I took this afternoon at the narrow gauge museum in Boothbay Maine. It was just so similar to what I've been following of your build.

marc_reusser

WOW!! Chester....absolutely freaking great!!.

Thanks so much for posting this...what a great piece of reference material!

Now I just need to figure out how much I need to change/modify/add to what I've done.  ::)

Really appreciate you taking and posting the pic. Thanks!

Marc

M-Works

TRAINS1941

Chester

Great picture thanks for sharing that.  I'm sure Marc's car will now look so much like the real thing nobody will be able to tell which is which!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin