• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

3D Printing - General Thread

Started by marc_reusser, July 31, 2013, 02:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Received my Shapeways prints today, and all I can say, is that the folks over there did a wonderful job printing these. The pics show them fresh out of the box...with no cleaning. The major/important surfaces are nearly as smooth as glass to the touch, and those that have some print stepping, it is so minor that a swipe with sandpaper and a coat of primer will make it vanish (It could also be left and used as part of the sawed/chiseled stone texture). The molding details are all there....from the larger moldings at the top, to the chamfers at the Norman/English face, and even there very small ogee detail at the hearth of the Spanish/Italian corner one.

The tops of the pieces show/have the most stepping/texture, but what looks like stepping on the large face surfaces, is actually mostly refraction of the layers inside the material...not on the surface.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Detail of Spanish/Italian corner fireplace.

M-Works

marc_reusser

Detail of large fireplace.

M-Works

marc_reusser

Detail of English/Norman fireplace.

M-Works

Hauk

Very nice!
This is good old FUD, I presume? Not FXD?
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

marc_reusser

Thanks. Yes, this is the old FUD. I am most curious how it would look in the new FXD.

M-Works

Hauk

Quote from: marc_reusser on April 15, 2015, 11:36:47 PM
Thanks. Yes, this is the old FUD. I am most curious how it would look in the new FXD.

Just placed my order for a couple of test parts in FXD. Will post pictures as soon as they arrive (est. delivery 4th of May)
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

marc_reusser

Cool. Am curious to see the results.

M-Works

finescalerr

Thank you for posting those images, Marc. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Of course, Russ. :)

May try some items along this line in the FXD.

M-Works

Hauk

My first Froste Extreme Detail parts arrived today.
Here are  an image straight out of the box, no cleaning or preparing:

For comparasion, here is the same part printed on a Solidscape machine:

The only difference is the supports, the actual part is the exact same model.

It is interesting that the Solidscape part is printed with thicker layers than the SW part. So layer thickness is not everything!
Regards, Hauk
--

TRAINS1941

Marc some nice pieces there.

But the question is what are the fireplaces for??

Left in a building after it was bombed maybe??  Or just practice??

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

mabloodhound

Got my door handle parts from Shapeways.  These go on the four corners of the drop bottom gondola to control the chains to the bottom doors.
The mounting plate is 1/8" wide (6" in 1:48 scale).  These are small and finicky in 1:48 and I don't know how the HO guys put together their kits.
I'm very pleased with how they came out.
Quick hand held photo is not the best.  Not cleaned yet either.  I adjusted the photo contrast to help see them.

Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

finescalerr

When you have a chance, and when you have primed the parts, please place them under a bright light and share new photos. These photos suggest very nice results but are too fuzzy for us accurately to evaluate the quality. Thanks, Dave! -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

This seems pretty interesting, but I'm curious what you guys with 3D experience think of it:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tiko3d/tiko-the-unibody-3d-printer?ref=nav_search

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World