• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Ga Long Bien Vietnamese Diorama

Started by shitao, January 27, 2019, 01:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Wow, I love that trailer and umbrella! It's such a charming addition to the diorama. Nice work soldering the umbrella frame, too!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Lawton Maner

Russ:
Don't have Bill go into the corner.  Have him hold on to the umbrella during a thunderstorm.

finescalerr

Good idea, Lawton, but forum regulations prohibit any disciplinary action that might endanger a member, even a naughty one. As you know, I've always disagreed strongly with those regulations since they undermine what I think should be my absolute power and overall divine right but what's a humble administrator to do? -- Russ

David Halfpenny

Thomas, I was very excited to see Ga Long Bien in the British magazine Continental Modeller. It is a masterpiece of unbelievably believable scenics on a simple oval layout.
I showed the magazine to the Committee of the Gauge 1 Model Railway Association, who are keen to encourage more small layouts designed to be shown to the public at Model Railway Exhibitions, just as you are doing. (G1MRA is well known for its very large ovals running expensive Live Steam express trains. But, as you have proved, Gauge 1 modelling does not have to be expensive or complex.)

Modelling trams allows both Simplicity and Economy, especially using the very cheap, yet very detailed, MiniArt kits of classic German and Russian tramcars from Ukraine. (For 1:35 models, our Gauge 1 track is close to Russian Gauge, so it all works out nicely.)

What complicates tram models is the fragile overhead power supply. And even if I build a layout with Overhead, my tram would look foolish on other layouts, without Overhead.
You have solved this problem brilliantly by using a gasoline/diesel generator trailer, just as real trams have at times of emergency.

May I ask the inspiration for your generator trailer, please?
Is it based on a real generator, or is it all from your own imagination?
And have you fitted it (or the tramcar) with Sound, please?

Thanks, David from England

shitao

Hallo David
Thanks a lot for your kind words.
The trailer is inspired from the one the Greek narrow gauge railway Diakopto to Kalavrita uses.

http://www.dieselcrew.ch/web/gr/gr27-c.jpg

Greetings from Switzerland

Thomas

Daniel

I have seen in several forums the layout and heard too late you have also brought it to the Netherlands.
I love your way of modelling. A lot.

DSC02509 by d.caso, on Flickr

Daniel