• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

10 1/4" Feldbahn Diorama in 1:16

Started by mad gerald, April 22, 2017, 11:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad gerald

G'day all,

The idea of a 10 1/4" (260 mm) Feldbahn layout in 1/16 kept me busy. So I built a loco mock up too (from paper and cardboard). The loco is heavily influenced by a loco prototype manufactured by Alan Keef Ltd. (narrow gauge light railway engineers) for 7 1/4" and 10 1/4" gauge. In 1/16 scale a loco representing 10 1/4" is rather small - in comparison to the BBU battery loco it appears really tiny.

I think now everything (of my basic quipment) fits, to start a new micro-layout of a 10 1/4" (260 mm) feldbahn in 1/16 scale: my space, the rails, the radii, the rolling stock, prototypes ...

Cheers

finescalerr

The mock-up looks good and I think you will make the final micro-layout will look much better. -- Russ

1-32

hi with such a tight radius i think that you will have to use a long rigid copula bar.cheers

mad gerald

Quote from: 1-32 on April 29, 2017, 02:55:04 AM
hi with such a tight radius i think that you will have to use a long rigid copula bar.cheers
Not as such, Kim ... apart from the fact, that I actually intend to use a short rigid bar between the couplers - especialy while pushing wagons.

A 15 cm radius in 1/16 scale is meant to represent a 250 cm radius in 1/1 scale, which has been approved to work on railways* with 260 cm (10 1/4") gauge, assuming short rolling stock and short wheelbases

*For example:

http://www.buntbahn.de/modellbau/viewtopic.php?t=5472

http://www.buntbahn.de/modellbau/viewtopic.php?t=12725

http://www.audlin.co.uk/images/wlrloco1w2pworks.jpg   ;D

Cheers

1-32

mad gerald

Just a short update: progress of scratchbuilding a 260 mm (10 1/4") Feldbahn loco in 1/16 scale from styrene (and some brass parts). Prototype are locos built by Alan Keef Ltd. running on tracks with 7 1/4" and 10 1/4" Zoll. The hood isn't ready and mountedyet (just attached loosely for pics) ...

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

mad gerald

Thanks, guys ... I designed and built another vehicle for the new gauge: a Feldbahn storage battery locomotive. The chassis is heavily influenced by the AEG storage battery loco (hospital railway, Lainz/Vienna), the prototype for the upper part is the EFAG storage battery loco in Switzerland (FWF, Otelfingen). I used sheet styrene (of different thickness), styrene shapes (some of them modified) and brass bolts. The reference guy came with the idea to put a wooden crate on top of the storage battery and going to use it for working gloves, tools ... and his lunchbox  ::). Couplings are still missing (in progress) as well as operating elements and the seat, which will be each correspond with the prototype (EFAG loco) too.

Cheers

Ray Dunakin

Cool! I like it a lot. The wooden box provides a nice contrast with the "metal" used on the rest of the loco.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

That will make a very nice addition to your railway. Neat, clean work. Satisfactory. -- Russ

mad gerald

No big deal/progress:

The battery storage loco on the right was at first the conversion of an idea. Now I'm in doubt, if it has turned out too bulky, apart from messing up the laminated springs (can't remove them without collateral damages).

In the meantime I had an idea for a modification of the battery storage loco (shown on the left), already with a styrene chassis - but still with a cardboard mock up (body) on top ...

finescalerr

The answer seems simple: Build the new, smaller loco. You already dislike two thins about the big loco. That aside, I like the way you designed the brick and wood structure in the background with all those rooflines and protrusions. -- Russ

mad gerald

Don't have to contribute anything appropriate regarding photography, but as I never came up with the idea to try a "scale man" perspective, I just gave it a shot - with an iPhone ... just for fun. The crappy quality is a result of bad printies and bad illumination ... nevertheless I really like "scale man" perspective ...

Cheers

Lawton Maner

The lighting in the last photo gives the appearance of a mid morning in the summer shot.  Well done. 

A little bit of dirt in the corners and scattered clusters of grass in the tile joints and the last picture will totally fool even the best of us. 

The fruit box is great.  I repeat Ray's comment.