• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Outhouse

Started by Allan G, October 06, 2015, 05:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan G

This is the first time I've posted a finished model (although it's not much of a project compared to anything else on this forum). As I said before I know I'm not even in the same universe as any of you but here goes. Any help/etc. is appreciated.....Allan

michael mott

The key Allan is to keep building and posting, One thought perhaps you might think about setting the hinges so that the pins of the hinges are in line, this would help make the illusion that the door can open. At the moment with the hinges out of alignment with each other it would be hard for the door to open.

Mike

Ray Dunakin

I agree with Mike, the misaligned hinges are the weak point of the model. Other than that it's a nice piece.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Allan G

Thanx for the feedback. My idea with the hinges was to make them askew so they looked broken loose from the screws. Probably doesn't work too well!..... Allan

michael mott

The idea for the hinges being broken is a good idea, in that case the door might not be so tight in the opening and the hinges would likely be still attached to one side or the other and perhaps folded a little.

Mike

Barney

The basics are good - align the hinges and you will be well on the way - old shed door with aligned hinges -any help to you
Barney

Allan G

Many thanx to all!! Allan

Hauk

Quote from: Allan G on October 06, 2015, 05:03:18 PM
This is the first time I've posted a finished model (although it's not much of a project compared to anything else on this forum). As I said before I know I'm not even in the same universe as any of you but here goes. Any help/etc. is appreciated.....Allan

Nice, but what scale is it?
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Allan G

It's O (1:48).  At 72 my eyes are now telling me to use a larger scale. I've started another outhouse at 3/4 scale....Allan

finescalerr

Maybe you could approach the bigger scale differently. Try what some of our guys do and treat each piece as a model. Find a good photo and try to duplicate the appearance of every board, hinge, handle, or whatever. If the piece turns out poorly, toss it and try again. Bet the finished model will knock you out. -- Russ

Allan G

That's exactly what I'm going to do guys......Allan

marc_reusser

One thing that I find, that is really important, especially on pieces/subjects where we are "visually" familiar with real life materials used, is scale thickness and dimensions of the materials (they need not be exact, but should plausible/believable, and in relative proportion to each other when viewed as a whole). IE., the roof timbers/rafters on something like this would have been 2x4 or sim...and siding would have likely been 1" or 3/4" thick. Watching your material dims/thicknesses will go a long way to making a model look more realistic.

Cheers.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Allan G

Thanx Marc. Being true to specific size is something I don't always do. Too often I use the materials I have on hand. I'll work on that....Allan