• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Dinkey Creek Mining R.I.P.

Started by finescalerr, May 20, 2022, 12:06:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

This morning just after I woke up, and without my knowing it, our young cat, Mr. Greyford, must have been right behind me when I entered my model room to get something. He was silent and I didn't see him. I left and closed the door. Five minutes later I heard a horrible loud crash and, when I opened the door, the only layout I've ever completed, a 1x6 foot On30 switchback at a mine, was upside down at a 45-degree angle, half on my workbench and half on the floor. It is completely obliterated and impossible to repair or reconstruct. The devastation includes the rolling stock, structures, and everything else--all scratchbuilt. It represented years of planning and six square feet of as close to modeling perfection as I could create between 1998 and 2000. Sic transit gloria. -- Russ

finescalerr

I seriously doubt Greyford intended to knock down the layout or anything on it. I'm pretty sure he found himself in the room, noticed he could jump onto the workbench, and from there discovered the shelf layout above where he could get a better view of the room. When he jumped the shelf flipped over, Greyford would have gone flying, and the layout, structures, and rolling stock experienced armageddon. The thing that hurts is the loss of hundreds of hours of my most intense work on a six foot long "model" whose near perfection I studied several times a week and truly enjoyed. On the other hand, only safely backed up digital stuff stands a chance of survival; I long ago realized only the modeler fully appreciates his delicate creations and he's lucky if they last as long as he does. -- Russ

Krusty

I remember seeing that in some magazine once upon a time. Seemed quite civilised to me.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

Bill Gill

Russ, A cat-astrophe. I don't mean to make light of it as I can imagine how you felt when you saw what happened. I too sometimes just enjoy looking at parts of the scenery that I've created.
So far my tiny layout has escaped any serious damage from any of our cats over the years other than a few chewed tips of some conifers.
I hope you may find, in a day or two, that some of the devisation may be less than it first appeared. Glad that you have photos.

TRAINS1941

Sorry to see that happen Unc.

I've seen pictures of it before a work of art!
Maybe you can salvage some of it and give it a go again.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

Maybe I'll remodel the layout as a parking lot .... -- Russ

Barney

Never mind we are all still alive - but I bet the Cats got a headache and he won't do that again !! - its the first time I have seen that incredible little bit of workmanship are they the only photos you have if not lets have more for the gallery
Barney
Looks adequate !!
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

WP Rayner

That is indeed a shame, however, I am confident that you can turn the accident into something positive with a little creative thinking and imagination. Perhaps an abandoned and derelict version of its former self that has suffered the ravages of time, weather, forest fires, earthquakes, giant cats...
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Ray Dunakin

How awful! It was a magnificent model!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Thanks, everyone. And, for Barney, a few photos. -- Russ

finescalerr

This is where the mainline enters the scene, at the rear of the ore tipple. -- Russ

finescalerr

Another view of the same spot with more dramatic lighting. -- Russ

finescalerr

Yet another shot of the same area but this one shows the whole tipple. -- Russ

finescalerr

Adios. And I presume everyone knows that clicking on each image opens a much larger version. -- Russ

Les Tindall

Thanks for posting those photos, a wonderful model.  Russ, I'm concerned about you using the word "Adios". I hope you're not going to jump of a mountain or something!!

p.s. I always find it's the building of the model I enjoy most. When it's completed I never know what to do with it. One or two have ended up down at the local tip so giving room for the next project. (Nick that offer still stands if you want to pick up a diorama or two from the island).

Les