• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

"Splitter's Gorge"...some bush in a box

Started by danpickard, December 25, 2011, 09:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danpickard

Hmmm, been a while since I updated this thing. Well the diorama is nearing completion. Picked up the picture frame to finish off the front, and got a vinyl cut sign for the diorama naming (replaces the previously hand scrawl temporary effort). Funny how that frame and sign nearly cost about as much as the whole diorama has been to build!!

Will be bundling this all up to take down to the Southern Forests meeting (at Puffing Billy country in Emerald, Victoria), to use as part of my gum tree clinic I'll present a couple of times on the day. There will still be a bit more detailing to the small bush hut scene, but that will have to wait til after the show (just beaten by the clock on this one unfortunately).

More pics after the weekend...

Cheers,
Dan

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

danpickard

Thanks for that subtle prompt Marc.  The clinics went ok...well attended and appreciated, I think.  The diorama was well received as well with plenty of deep and meaningful stares into the dense bush. 

Photos will still be forth coming though.  The venue was good for the size event, however lighting on the displays suffered a bit (as is often the case) and I forgot to through in the tripod as luck would have it.  Time permitting, I'll try and set up some shots sometime this week.  The extra bit of detailing I need to do around the hut, I've decided to put on hold, and save as one of those "exhibition chores" (probably get done at my next show in July).  Scenery wise though, I'll say its done.

Cheers,
Dan

danpickard

Right then, couple of pics.  Still a bit "happy snap" these images...need to dig out some other lights to do the better shots, but for now, this is it.  These new shots focus mainly on the most recent addition of the foreground scenery work, and the new larger Mountain Ash trees at front.

And for a bit of size comparison, a cameo appearance.  My head is an average size, and gut slightly oversized, if that helps put things in perspective  ;D

Cheers,
Dan

TRAINS1941

Dan

Beautiful work.  Excellent workmanship on the trees & water.  Good luck at the show.  And I sure it will be a hit at the clinic.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Junior

Wow..... :o! Fantastic.....these box dioramas do really come out very well. Agree...excellent work on everything and that large tree that I asked about is not over powering at all. Nice touch with your name on the sign.

Anders

Wesleybeks

That's fantastic work Dan. I love how you really have look into the bush to find where the river is coming from. That in turn leads you to the waterfall.

I love it.
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

finescalerr

Satisfactory work on the scenery. The large scale figure is extremely realistic. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

Beautiful scene and a great display. I liked the signature sign too.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Frederic Testard

Working in the bottom of this canyon of trees must be a bit oppressive.
And your rendition of the scene is impressive.
Frederic Testard

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

danpickard

Russ, I really would have liked to used one of those "robot helpers" featured in another thread a few weeks back, but kind of lacked to capital to afford that sort of assistance, so had to take option B instead.

Frederic, the feeling of being in these sorts of hidden canyons is far from oppressive.  There are plenty of little hidden gems like these in the forests that are local to me, and where we often head down for a days hike.  Some of the places are like stepping into a surreal prehistoric valley, dwarfed by the trees and giant ferns that can stand +20' tall...might make you feel really small, but not oppressed.  Its a great little tranquil escape.

Cheers,
Dan

JohnTolcher

Gday Dan
Really beautiful work, those trees are some of the best I've seen.

Cheers
JT
Cheers
John in Australia

k27rgs

Brilliant Realistic Vertical Scenery.  Well done mate.

Mario

shropshire lad

Very nice , Daniel . Though I'm not to sure about the beard . Still if you keep growing it I might give it a bit of a tug next year if I make down to Ozland for the NG Convention .

Nick