• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Steel cable transmission

Started by Peter_T1958, October 29, 2012, 12:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter_T1958

Quote from: Lawton Maner on October 15, 2018, 05:43:21 AM
The top rung of the railing on a well used ladder will develop a polished look even when painted because of the constant rubbing of hands and gloves across the surface.  

I guess I understand what you mean. In my mind's eye iIt's a aubergine-violet-brown hue with a slight metallic shine - something like that:

Hmm, very difficult to archieve, but let's try tomorrow!

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Hydrostat

Maybe some soot and graphite powder, rubbed to the surface with your finger may work? I'd try that at some residue because color won't stick to that later on.
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Peter_T1958

Autumn is my favourite season and the last few days weather was marvelous. So I moved with my work on the balcony. So work is progressing very quickly (by my standards) and I have almost finished the scaffold construction on the front sinde. The ladder in the foreground will be supportet by a gangway that leads around the stone pillar. Instead of graphite powder I tryed a mixture of chrome pigments and graphite. In reality the slight shine is visible; on the picture the effect is close to nil ... :-\

Hydrostat

At the left ladder it's clearly visible and it looks good!
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Barney

Excellant and different
Barney

finescalerr

Peter_T1958

And here a last pic from the scaffold on back side, taken on my balcony in the last evening light. Now it's time to go back to the workbench. Next step will be the bank wall and two wooden gangways that connect the pillar with the riverbank. That will take some time!

Hauk

Quote from: Peter_T1958 on October 18, 2018, 10:49:01 AM
And here a last pic from the scaffold on back side, taken on my balcony in the last evening light. Now it's time to go back to the workbench. Next step will be the bank wall and two wooden gangways that connect the pillar with the riverbank. That will take some time!

Extremely fascinating work!
I think this must be the most original modelling project I have ever seen.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Ray Dunakin

I love that last photo! The machinery, the masonry, the water, and all the debris at the bottom are very convincing!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Design-HSB

Just crazy Peter and so consistent in the overall impression.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Bill Gill

An excellent look at an excellent model!

In my mind's eye it's a aubergine-violet-brown hue with a slight metallic shine Peter
Yes, I know what you mean, I often see the same coloration on old manhole covers and similar items.

Lawton Maner

The photo with the guide wheel and lashing ring beside it show very clearly how unpainted iron takes on a shiny patina from the constant rubbing of the ropes passing over it.  Most of the parts of your model tend to make one think you are taking photos of the real thing and trying to pass them as a model. 

finescalerr

Peter_T1958

Hello

Thank you all for your motivating words!

As I have to do some wooden planked gangways now, I wanted to share my first attempts in painting wood. The planks are only placed loosely!
I know, there are several threads here on weathering wood, but I must confess -to my shame - I was trying to find my own way (mostly due to the lack of appropriate ingredients i.e. SilverWood).

Any proposals or criticisms are welcome!

Hauk

Quote from: Peter_T1958 on November 28, 2018, 09:00:52 AM
As I have to do some wooden planked gangways now, I wanted to share my first attempts in painting wood. The planks are only placed loosely!
I know, there are several threads here on weathering wood, but I must confess -to my shame - I was trying to find my own way (mostly due to the lack of appropriate ingredients i.e. SilverWood).

The wood looks great!
As I  have no access to Silverwood myself, I would love to hear about your techniques in more detail.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past