• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Painting with brushes

Started by Allan G, May 28, 2015, 10:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gill

Allen, I share your lack of space for an airbrush and have no budget for one either. My modeling isn't up to the level of this forum - yet :), but here are a couple examples of HO scale models that were weathered using slightly different methods with acrylics and brushes.

The first photo is a red pickup fresh out of its package; the second is after cleaning and then brush weathering and a Dullcote finish (warmed up spray can, outside in good weather).

Bill Gill

The next photo is a freelanced detailed boxcar that first got an overall spray of gray primer, and the last photo shows it after brush painting with very thin washes or nearly dry brushing of acrylics followed by Dullcote spray again.

There is an interesting article in this month's Railroad Model Craftsman about using craft acrylics for both airbrush and brush painting. The author mixes paint and Liquitex Airbrush medium 50-50 in a 1 oz bottle and adds about 0.5-1 ml of Liquitex Flow-Aid. He says the paints work well and are very durable.

Allan G

WOW!!!! Thanx to all for some great/awesome ideas!!!!! Allan

Allan G

Bill; is it the or May or June issue? Allan

JohnTolcher

Agree with Marc. Vallejo paints are good for hand brushing, and if you do move on to an airbrush they can be used there too. They can be difficult to airbrush sometimes and are improved a lot with a flow enhancer, I just use a little bit of dish soap in water. That goes for hand brushing and spraying.

Vallejo Model Color paints are thicker and designed for the brush, though they can be airbrushed too if suitably thinned. I would go for them, where as Vallejo Model Air are thinner and designed for airbrushing.

I would avoid Tamiya 'acrylics', they're not true acrylics and contain a solvent which can smell. They are lovely to airbrush, but hard to brush paint.

Hope that helps, cheers!
John
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Another thing about Vallejo and possibly other acrylics, airbrushing produces little if any odour.

Cheers
Cheers
John in Australia

Bill Gill

Allan, It's the June issue.

Chuck Doan

I have airbrushed the Vallejo Model Air paint straight from the bottle at 20 PSI with very good results.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Gordon Enquist

I would like to suggest another brand of acrylic paint. JoSonja's , artists colors, made by Chroma Inc. USA. Tubes are 75ml or 2.5 US fl oz. They dry to a velvet matte finish. They also market many mediums to compliment their colors. They refer to themselves as a Decorative Painting System, not your ordinary craft paint. Yes, can be diluted for airbrush.
Cheers Eh!

darrylhuffman

I painted this O scale casting from Rusty Rail using cheap 2 ounce bottles of artist's acrylics available at Walmart and Hobby Lobby.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

finescalerr

Well, it probably wouldn't have gotten so broken down and rusty if you had used more expensive paints! -- ssuR