• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Feldbahnmodule with ship

Started by fspg2, April 21, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fspg2

Thanks to all of you - Volker earns a big compliment.

@BKLN  They will serve as masters for casting in white metal or Resin.

The crosspiece of I-beams were center punched and riveted from the backside.

westl_Nebenbruecke_Montage_022 (fspg2)

For easy positioning of the angle profiles, slots were milled (0.1 mm deep) into the sheet.
The MS58 brass material can be milled very painless. The rivets would emerged better with Ms63 certainly.
After sandblasting you will not see the difference.

westl_Nebenbruecke_Montage_023 (fspg2)

Holes were drilled into the legs accordingly for fixing the 5,0mm x 3,5mm fastening angles.

westl_Nebenbruecke_Montage_024 (fspg2)

westl_Nebenbruecke_Montage_025 (fspg2)

As drilling aid a 3.2 mm deep groove in a Pertinax plate served. A 6.0mm x 2.0mm U-profile has been put under the profile. A Scotch masking tape held everything in place.
The two hundred 1.0 mm holes could be drilled from the opposite side likewise. However I just wanted to make sure that the drill wouldnt run away on the inclined surfaces.

westl_Nebenbruecke_Montage_026 (fspg2)

To prepare the mounting bracket (wooden beams on the I-beams) two 50cm long 5mm x 5mm brass L-profiles were used.
The profiles were fitted (leg to leg) in a 1.2 mm wide and 4.5 mm deep groove at the MDF board.

westl_Nebenbruecke_Montage_030 (fspg2)

In two passes all the holes were drilled. The distance between the individual angular parts is 9.0mm. A small stop served for accurate positioning for the second leg side.

westl_Nebenbruecke_Montage_027 (fspg2)

Then I cutted the profiles into 5-strip on my metal cutting machine (similar here) to get  a 3.5mm width shank.

westl_Nebenbruecke_Montage_028 (fspg2)

Finally all angles were separated. Now they have a length of about 8mm.
This angles will be soldered with two rivets to the I-profile. Afterthan the rivets will be cutted and rounded.
The bilateral overhang will cropped with the Böhler saw later.

westl_Nebenbruecke_Montage_029 (fspg2)

There are only small steps, but the job comes first.
Frithjof

finescalerr

Your latest progress lives up to your usual horrible and depressing standards, Frithjof. Seriously, every time you post something it inspires me. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Gordon Ferguson

So each of these perfect pieces is 8mm long, with 3 x 1mm holes accurately positioned  :o

Makes me feel a bit of a stone age man, fiddling and whittling with little bits of plastic.

The whole process and execution is superb, wish I had my time over to learn at least some of your skills
Gordon

Ray Dunakin

As always, very impressive and fascinating work!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hydrostat

Okay, again hijacking Frithjof's thread.

Before production start for the white metal roof tiles we had to ensure that they are easily to color. Frithjof gave me the first castings (some of them will serve as master form for the series) to test that.

The tiles were burnished with a blackening and a copperizing fluid from a tiffany supplier. This is the blackened version:

And that's the copperized one:

In both ways the surface afterwards assumes water based color (gouache). I made that fast and dirty with a brush. For comparison: left hand is the blackened, right hand the copperized item. I used exactly the same paint application and shade for both pieces!

The roofage might look like that later on. Admittedly the color has enough film strength, but it tends to get shiny when you rub it. Frithjof will have to test a bit with matte lacquer or some fixative when the roof is mounted and colored.

And the tile beside the tile.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

BKLN

Ray Dunakin

Interesting.

Are the prototype tiles painted red, or made of red material? It looks dark gray or black in the crevices and only red on the surface, but maybe the black is just accumulated crud.

Ray Dunakin's World

Hydrostat

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on September 05, 2014, 01:36:29 PM
Interesting. Are the prototype tiles painted red, or made of red material? It looks dark gray or black in the crevices and only red on the surface, but maybe the black is just accumulated crud.

Ray,

they are made from red clay. The dark spots are accumulated crud from air pollution. This is an old tile which surely has seen the coal fired heating era.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

fspg2

Today it goes on with the swing bridge piers.

For more information about Pendulum pillars look here!

Pendel-Pfeiler_01 (fspg2)

Copyright: WSA-Lauenburg/Elbe

Both pillar consists of each 22 angle profiles and 12 gussets.

From 3x3mm brass L-profile I cutted the required number on length.
The profiles have rivets in both flanks. To get this all congruent, I cut small auxiliary gauges from pertinax.

Pendel-Pfeiler_ankoernen (fspg2)

The flanks have an interior length of 2.6mm and a thickness of 0.4mm.
Two profiles will be placed into the gauge – flank against flank - for centrepunch.
Since I have no 0.8mm cutter with 2,6mm cut-length, the grooves were milled with an 1.2mm milling cutter into the pertinax plate.

Pendel-Pfeiler_ankoernen_02 (fspg2)

The 0.4mm gap will be filled with  0.4 mm metal strips, so nothing will wobble.
In addition, the inserted profiles were fixed with adhesive tape.

Pendel-Pfeiler_ankoernen_03 (fspg2)

The profiles are made of brass MS58, this can be milled wonderful - but to push rivets makes no joy!
Therefore all profiles were annealed at the points where the rivets could be seen.

Pendel-Pfeiler_ausgluehen (fspg2)

For my embossing machine I habe corresponding punches.

Punzen_Nietenpraegen_01 (fspg2)

Pendel-Pfeiler_Nieten-druecken_01 (fspg2)

Pendel-Pfeiler_Nieten-druecken_02 (fspg2)

From Pertinax an assembly aid was milled .

Pendel-Pfeiler_Montagehife_01_ (fspg2)

As I inserted the riveted profiles in the assembly jig, I noted an fault. I had cut the diagonal struts side inverted.

This I could easily change, as I would have countered the file in Sheetcam and then re-milled only the appropriate level with the milling data for the diagonal profiles. For new alignment on the milling machine the four corner holes had been used. So I had to drill four holes, insert 2 mm pins and position the existing Pertinax plate on it .... milling - ready ......!

However, in order to get the gusset plates in position new passer pieces would be needed.

That's why I cut a new assembly jig, so I can solder together the complete pendulum pillar-halves in one step.

Pendel-Pfeiler_Montagehife_04_ (fspg2)

Here, the two diagonal struts (with one flank down) and the four outer profiles were cutted 0.8mm deeper into the Pertinax plate. The gusset plates were given a 0.4mm recess.
So I can solder four congruent parts very fast.
I am glad that the new idea and its implementation fit again. The profiles and the gusset plates sit neatly in the recesses.
Now the parts need solder! : D

Frithjof
Frithjof

Allan G

Hauk

So glad you are back!
You never fail to inspire.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

It's always a pleasure to see your modeling posts!

Ray Dunakin's World