• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Feldbahnmodule with ship

Started by fspg2, April 21, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artizen

Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Ray Dunakin

Congrats on getting the additional information you were needing! Looks like you will have plenty of work to keep you busy on this project for a long time.

I'll be curious to see how the tiles come out.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

I love to see how you approach a model from research to conception to CAD to production. I wish more people could appreciate what you do. -- Russ

fspg2

Meanwhile, the western part of the bridge is created on the computer.

westl_-Nebenbruecke_Montage_001 (fspg2)

I started with the horizontal section. The first longitudinal beam (I-profile 16mm x 6mm) was drawn. Afterthen the side view was placed.

westl_-Nebenbruecke_Montage_004 (fspg2)

The cross beams and braces followed.

westl_Nebenbruecke_Montage_007 (fspg2)

I cut the first beams and planks from beech square strips (10mm x 20mm) with my little Böhler-saw. With a rough-toothed wood saw blade without crossed teeth I got very clean and smooth surfaces. In the first pas I had chosen all dimensions slightly thicker (about 1-2 tenths of a mm) and worked in the second step with the final dimensions.

I let the 5,3 mm x 8mm transom about 2 cm longer than I need.

A milled Pertinax template helps to drill 1mm holes. They are working for attaching the the side handrail supports and wooden beams to the I-section.

westl_Nebenbruecke_Montage_009 (fspg2)

Always four lumbers were processed at the same time. The result at the end: 26 small beams.

westl_Nebenbruecke_Montage_010 (fspg2)

westl_Nebenbruecke_Montage_011 (fspg2)

In the next step 1mm wire pieces were plugged into the central holes. So the beams couldn´t move during contour milling on both ends.

westl_Nebenbruecke_Montage_012 (fspg2)

westl_Nebenbruecke_Montage_013 (fspg2)

westl_Nebenbruecke_Montage_014 (fspg2)

westl_Nebenbruecke_Montage_015 (fspg2)

westl_Nebenbruecke_Montage_016 (fspg2)

westl_-Nebenbruecke_Montage_018 (fspg2)

Frithjof

finescalerr

Your work is intimidating. Most satisfactory. -- Russ

Peter_T1958

I truly envy you, in a positive sense of course! All this represents a huge pool of accumulated knowledge in engineering - hats off! 

Peter
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Hauk

So glad that you are posting again!
Your work is a great inspiration.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

lab-dad

Those contours on the beams are beautiful!
And of course the machining makes me feel very inadequate.....

Amazing how things were made functional and appealing "back in the days"
It is so true form follows function.
I can see how the profile would allow rainwater to drip off and not settle into the end grain.

I like the railing without the mesh too.

-Marty

fspg2

@Russ, Peter, Hauk, Marty
I am pleased that you like my posts!  :)  Indeed I hope a few more guys will have benefit from it.

I´m looking for I-profile 6mm x 16mm.

westl_Nebenbruecke_Montage_008 (fspg2)

Nobody can supply in this dimension. Therefore I`l put it together from 3 parts.

Langtraeger_I-Profil-16x6-Haasler (fspg2)

The profiles for the bridge are ordered here: click  

They will be made from 6mm x 2mm square profile, centrally grooved and thereafter both webs will be edited on a milling machine (with inclined table). The bar is adjusted in height that the total level of 16mm is achieved.

Today I got a delivery from the caster.

Volker had let print the roof tiles as prototype to get white metal castings of them.

Have a look to the result:

Doppelfalzziegel_008 (fspg2)

The parts are not cleaned and plastered. I put them on the roof battens only to see if the size fits correctly.

Doppelfalzziegel_011 (fspg2)

Doppelfalzziegel_012 (fspg2)

Frithjof

artizen

Just when you think it couldn't get any better you go ahead and cast roof tiles where most of the detail is hidden underneath!

Stunning. This work should end up in a museum to show everyone how it should be done!
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Ray Dunakin

Amazing detail in those tiles!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Perfect as usual.

It may be a heavy roof.

Russ

BKLN

Du hast doch echt einen an der (Dach-) Pfanne, Volker!

Absolutely amazing work! Are those white metal castings to be used for the actual model or are they serving as masters for casting in another material?

Franck Tavernier

Impressive precision and beauty, as always!

Congratulations,

Franck

Chuck Doan

Thanks for the update! Just amazing work at all levels.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/