• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Dave's corner

Started by Frederic Testard, January 21, 2011, 09:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior

Great pictures of a very nice build. Have to go and inspect it at KirkĀ“s place in a couple of weeks. After that I will wright my final review......just kidding!

Anders  ;D

Frederic Testard

Thanks to all of you for the nice comments.

Chuck, I knew you would find 20 months a rather small time for a dio... :) :)
James, as you may have noticed, in fact the interior detailing is still rather sparse in spite of the presence of some interesting pieces.
Thanks, Gordon, but my SBS are still much less detailed than yours. I'll see if I can adapt one of your truck buildings to my S scale which is going to be my main modelling focus now (back to the layout).
Chester, indeed the night shots are a really interesting exercise, and their postprocessing is almost as pleasant. See below for some fun.
Anders; now I'm really scared... :)

Here is a Photoshopped extension of one of my pictures. It was made by Greg Shinnie, a member of RR-Line.

I used his pic to make this new B&W

then added some Paint Shop Pro mist...

A few more. After all the work, this picture making period was a very pleasant time.

Black and white, with a little mist.

You might find some interest in seeing my setup for the nocturnal shots above and in the previous posts. The tripod, some sheets of Black Canson paper behind the dio, then I wait for the sunset, close the curtains, set the exposure time to 15 s, sometimes add a little white light on the side to undarken the details, then some postprocessing on Paint Shop Pro.

Frederic Testard

Frederic Testard

I think it's now time to come to an end with this topic. First the last shots.
More than 100 pics were shot and then processed in CombineZP, a program that works like HeliconFocus to find the in-focus parts of the shots and assemble everything in an image in focus almost everywhere. In fine, I got about 15 such images.

With some fog again...

and the original picture for the foggy one above. These graphic softwares are impressive...

And finally a few ones shot outside in a sunny but windy day...

Then it was time to enclose everything in the box. Not really modelling, but a necessary last job before the long trip to Sweden.

On June 12th, the diorama was donated to Troels during the "Convention des trains du Nouveau Monde" in the center of France, at Noyant d'Allier. This was a great moment, and I felt very happy too when Troels offered me this wonderful painting of a scene on my Sn3 layout, with some Swedish snow added.

The most recent pics of Dave's Corner can now be seen in vol.4 of the Coast Line RR topic on RR-Line, with the installation by Troels of the diorama.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32687&whichpage=40
Frederic Testard

finescalerr

Satisfactory indeed, Frederic. So is Troels' painting. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

Beautiful pictures Frederic! They are a nice extension to a model project. Thanks for the info; I want to try the focusing software.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

chester

Nice photography indeed! I too need to do something about the field of focus.  Perhaps someone (ahem) would do a walk through with their software in the tips and techniques section.

Frederic Testard

Good idea, Chester, I'll try to post something.
Frederic Testard

Ray Dunakin

Cool. Is the diorama held secured in the box with screws? Or did you just carry it carefully and remember not to turn the box over?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Frederic Testard

One screw held the diorama. It was enough since I screwed one of the corners while the opposite corner was steadily pushed against the corresponding corner of the box. And it worked since it has been carried to Sweden with no damage.
Frederic Testard