• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Dave's corner

Started by Frederic Testard, January 21, 2011, 09:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chester

Nice that the open roof of the shed allows more light in to view the donkey better. Like the buoy. All quite convincing Frederic, nice job.

finescalerr

I really like the buoy. Everything else looks good, too. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Hmmm...that bouy design looks familiar.  ;D

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Frederic Testard

Marc, your model was a very good source of inspiration, and your being so kind as to post some measures wasn't bad either.

Thanks, Chuck, Russ, Chester.

With the diorama getting closer to completion, there were mainly details to add or finish.

The dog is a little bigger in the picture than in reality... :)

Two good friends are watching each other.

I made the various parts of the scaffolding out of 0.02" and 0.04" diameter styrene rod, as the photos below show. I even drilled some starting holes in the upper end of the vertical rods to emulate tubing but I think it won't be very visible...
The styrene was primed with burnt sienna, tapped with some Polly Scale yellow for a peeling paint effect, then I added a few hints of raw umber and dark green, before adding a few splashes of the paints used by the workers (what I also did on the planks).

The remaining to-do list : the covers of the paint pots, a hook on the craddle, and the carrying box.

After a number of comments on RR-Line, I swapped the big pots for smaller ones. I kept three big ones but tried to have not covering labels, and I used Dallas' hints for the brands, with the "wet paint" of the Dutch Boy company, and Valspar old looking signs on the smaller cans. I also added three Vector Cut brushes...

The last detail I wanted to add is the hook on the craddle. It being done is indrectly proven by the photo, considering the fact that the craddle for the first time is shot with the wheels on the rails, and that the cable is tight.

After a suggestion by Kris on RR-Line, I put a light coat of rust on the wheels of the craddle. It is still a bit clean on this close-up shot, but I think it's OK in real life.
Shot reprocessed with Combine, starting with only two views, to have both the boat area and the background in focus.

Frederic Testard

finescalerr

Everything looks fine. Well, one thing is a little humorous: Your dog is more shiny than any dog I've seen. He looks as though somebody dipped him in liquid Lucite.

I know you can't really see that under actual viewing conditions but I had to tease you a little.

Russ

Frederic Testard

He was so happy to find his friend he started to cry and the sun made the tears shine, Russ...
Frederic Testard

marc_reusser

Looking Good Frederic.

I like the scaffolding detail (I actually have one of those in my garage)..... I may have to copy your idea. ;D

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

PuckHog

Hello Frederic,  Great little scene :) 

Randy

Ray Dunakin

Nice! I really like the old scaffold parts.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Frederic Testard

Thanks for the comments about the scaffolding. It was really an easy job, and quite rewarding.

With the diorama completed about one month before I would give it to Troels (and after no more than 20 months spent on it...), I had time to shoot it under many angles, many lights and many moods...

Dave's by night...

Strangers in the night, exchanging glances...

More to come.
Frederic Testard

finescalerr

Satisfactory. -- Russ

james_coldicott

Frederic,

nice work. I really like the night interior photographs which are very atmospheric- the workbench, tools and boat under construction in are superbly executed.

James

Chuck Doan

Congatulations on finishing it Ferderic! Troels should be well pleased. 20 months... this was a quickie!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Scratchman

Frederic, the diorama and the finish photos are very nice and thank you for the great SBS.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

chester

Congrats on a really nice build Frederic. I particularly like your gantry and the boat cribbing. The night shots have a nice ambience but don't allow the viewer to see your great finishes.