• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Examples of the "Salt Technique"

Started by Ken Hamilton, October 20, 2009, 07:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Hamilton

Not wanting to hijack Marc's thread, here are a couple of photos of the
"Peeled Paint Salt Technique" as applied to a car model done by Virgil Suarez:

I know....it's not train-related, but the technique works on just about any metal surface...

The secret is to not overdo it.  Marc pulled it off perfectly in his post.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

mobilgas

Are you parting the 57 out?? if so ill take the front clip. ;D  looks like the real thing. i need to learn how to do this ;D    Craig   Mich

marc_reusser

What Hijack????...this is great Ken.....Virgil is like the Godfather of the salt technique (I think it comes from his childhood  ;D ;D)...and the one you posted is a beautiful example.  There are a couple of threads over on the MIG forum where virgil goes through all the steps for applying/using the salt technique:

http://www.migproductionsforums.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2802

http://www.migproductionsforums.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3115

...there are another couple....but these two are probably the most thorough.

The great thing is that this technique need not be used as a stand-alone, but it can be combined with the hairspray technique as well as others, to give you a wide range of options and detail level for chipping and weathering.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ken Hamilton

HA!
Thanks for the links, Marc. 
Looks like Ol' Virgil gets around.  He's one of the most enthusiastic
builders I've ever met, and he really does have the salt thing nailed.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

marc_reusser

Virgil's great fun....I always enjoy seeing what he cooks up.

Though this on is not salt technique I thought it might be of interest anyhow (this Chevy is a project in progress by Charlie Dameron, one of our modeling group members).

M

M-Works

MrBrownstone

finescalerr

Charlie's car, and how he weathered it, will take up a lot of pages in the upcoming December Modelers' Annual. Ask your mom to bring one home today! -- Russ

marc_reusser

Russ,
That's great to hear.  I was wondering if he had finished this beauty.  Did you ever shoot pics of his Camaro (If so...can I get a set for the website?)

M

M-Works

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on October 21, 2009, 01:46:37 AM
Charlie's car, and how he weathered it, will take up a lot of pages in the upcoming December Modelers' Annual. Ask your mom to bring one home today! -- Russ

Mom already ordered a copy. I paid for it with my lawnmower money! Saved for the entire summer!

Seriously, do you plan to widen the scope for the Modellers Annual and remaking it into a magazine devoted to fine scale modelling in general?
If so, I applaude it .  Fine modelling is fine modelling, regardless of the subject. But it would be a bold move!

Regards, Håvard
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Ken Hamilton

That's great news, Uncle Russ.  Although here are plenty of wonderful automotive
builders out there in Hobby Land, they usually get the short end of the stick.

Can't wait to see the Dec. issue (I DID remember to re-up my subscription, didn't I??)
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

finescalerr

Håvard, that was a great line about saving your lawnmower money. And, to answer your question, yes, the Modelers' Annual scope was always supposed to include techniques from any "genre". So this year it includes Charlie's rusting techniques, Don Railton's Styrofoam brick technique, Chuck Doan's tractor rebuild (with all that marvellous weathering), Gordon Birrell's fantastic scratchbuilt truck models, and a bunch of other goodies you will love. I think only one project is strictly "railroad" in nature but it represents a non-working caboose (perfect for Marc's non-working locos).

Modeling is modeling. And those idiots who can't make the logical jump from rust on a 1:12 scale auto to that on a 1:87 scale caboose really have no business inhabiting our planet. I continue to welcome articles about structures, tractors, tanks, trains, and anything else that demonstrates outstanding construction or finishing techniques.

Ken, your subscription is good through the end of this year. To guarantee that it continues through the end of 2010, please remit $10,000,000 and send it over in the warm, velvety hands of a beautiful girl in a thong bikini.

Russ

Ken Hamilton

Quote from: finescalerr on October 21, 2009, 12:17:16 PM
To guarantee that it continues through the end of 2010, please remit $10,000,000 and send it over in the warm, velvety hands of a beautiful girl in a thong bikini.

How 'bout fifty bucks hand-delivered by me in a Speedo?

(Wow...that even made MY eyes hurt)
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

chester

OK Ken, you pay me 50 bucks and I might be willing to see you in a thong.

Virgil is an enthusiastic builder to say the least. Most prolific and more than quite adept. Great stuff Ken and Marc thanks for bringing it to us.

TRAINS1941

Looks to me that the Magazine excuse me the Books will be getting better than they already are.  Thanks to Unc we have a beautiful Book to look at three times a year.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

danpickard

Gee Russ,
Sounds like there poses an opportunity for a new publication..."finescale illustrated - the swimsuit edition, with bonus calender".  Ken can have January, but I'd prefer if your subscription delivery girl took care of the rest of the year!

Back on the rust though...I am impressed with the roof finish on the car pictured above.  I have seen a good number of "old Holden's" with exactly the same rust patterns getting around here in the harsh Aussie sun, many with the original owner still driving them (and some of them look as weather beaten as their pride and joy car).

Dan