• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Drilling brass?

Started by Ray Dunakin, December 03, 2010, 10:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

I'm in the middle of drilling a bunch of #80 holes through some flattened brass tubes. The first four holes went pretty quickly but now it's taking forever. Is this normal -- should I expect to replace the bits after just a few holes? Or do I need better drill bits? What kind should I look for? Is there some other trick to this?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bexley

1. Are you using some sort of cutting fluid? If not, you should. Any kind of light oil will do.

2. The second thing I'd check is the speed of the bit. Which, were I more prepared, I'd calculate for you. Except my Machinery's Handbook is at school.

(Scratch that- thanks to the Intarwebs, you should be using a speed of about 80,000 to 100,000 rpm. Or, as fast as you can go, since that's probably a lot faster than any tool you might have.)

If you are drilling them by hand with a pin vise, then only #1 would apply.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Ray Dunakin

Yeah, I'm doing it by hand with a pin vise, guess I forgot to mention that.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Scratchman

Ray, I use flattened tubing a lot, but I will use the aluminum instead of the brass. The aluminum is much easier to drill.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

lab-dad

Carbide bits, just dont force them.

-Marty

JohnP

You probably know brass comes in different hardness so the softer brass may be better for this application. Also, check the tip. Sometimes brass will gall on the cutting edge and stick there. Using a light oil will help. If you don't want oil all over isopropyl alcohol is OK.

And try twisting your fingers at 100,000 rpm. That'll do.

John
John Palecki

lab-dad

Heating the brass to a dull red and letting it cool will also soften it........I think................

RoughboyModelworks

Is there a particular reason you're trying to do this by hand Ray? It will be much easier and faster if you can power the drill bit with something other than your fingers. Breakage is caused because, no matter how steady your hand, it's nearly impossible to maintain the correct cutting angle between the bit and the brass tube and a consistent speed when turning by hand. I assume you're starting with a small indent in the brass surface to prevent the bit from wandering... small dimple from a carbide scriber would be enough to locate the center.

Paul