• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Missing turn signals.

Started by 5thwheel, June 29, 2013, 07:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5thwheel

I have noted something missing from old truck models, say from 1940 back.  Turn signal arms.  They were necktie shaped arms which were mounted on the driver side.  Usually white with reflectors, arrow shaped.  The arm was controlled from a lever and chain in the cab, on the ceiling; for right turn was set straight out; for left up at about forty-five degrees.  Some trucks had one on each side.  In the 30s and 40s my dad drove feed truck for Poultryman's Cooperative Association in Los Angels.  He delivered sacks of chicken feed to chicken farms around the LA area.  When I was a kid I got to ride with him once in a while and it was my job to pull the leaver for a turn.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

finescalerr

Excellent nitpick. I remember turning arms, too, now that you mention them. Some vehicles had arms with amber reflectors. (Buses?) I thought they were cool. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Back in '65 my dad had an old pickup truck that had one of those "semaphore" turn signals.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

jim s-w

Not just large vehicles.  My mate has a 60s (I think) beetle with them.  He called them travellators.  He used to get cut up at roundabouts all the time because drivers expect to see indicators by headlights not behind the drivers door up near the roof!

Jim Smith-Wright

Gordon Ferguson

Semaphore turn indicators , as known in the Uk, unfortunately I am old enough to remember them!

My first car Morris 1000 had them , circled in picture  and in use (VW beetle)

They are included in a number of aftermarket Brass PE , from memory I think for both the Gaz AA and the Opel Blitz
Gordon

marc_reusser

Didn't some Citroens have them also....even into the 70's?

I learned to drive with a manual turn semiphore......my left arm out the window.  ;D
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works