• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

A snapshot in time. A glimpse of the Plettenberger Kleinbahn in 1/22.5 scale.

Started by Hydrostat, September 27, 2013, 01:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydrostat

Bill,

I'm a bit slow catching up with videos - thank you very much; the fiber paste seems to be a promising approach. The trees shown in the video look very convincing, although there are no closeups from a distance I usually take my pictures. Howsoever I'll give it a try.

Quote from: Lawton Maner on June 23, 2023, 04:18:58 PMLye applied to aluminum  can cause an explosive reaction so wear protective gear!

Ferric chloride which is used to etch copper and brass will do the same thing and a bit more slowly.  It will stain everything it touches and like lye can burn skin. Rinse the parts in water to stop it from working.  Again, safety gear should be worn.

Lawton,

a very valuable hint. I wasn't aware of that!

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

nk

Those trees look great. And I do like the associated signage too.

I wanted to share some trees by the Artist Roxy Paine who makes trees in all sized out of stainless steel. Not in the same league as Volker's detailed trees, but impressive nonetheless

https://www.dreamstime.com/editorial-stock-image-washington-dc-metal-tree-national-gallery-art-sculpture-garden-july-was-created-roxy-paine-image64040124
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

Bill Gill

Volker, I saw your comment about the Golden acrylic Fiber Paste and that the YouTube video showing tree bark wasn't close enough for you to tell if the texture was what you want.

Here are three images I captured from some other videos of tree making that were made by the same modeler. I hope these photos may give you a closer look.  You can click each image to enlarge it.

Hydrostat

Bill,

thank you very much - the Golden paste for sure is a great medium and it is a pleasure to see how it builds up in layers. Your pictures show, what I was afraid of: although the over all impression is very good, it still is a bit 'roundish' in the details. The Golden products are quite expensive at this side of the pond and I hesitated to spend the money for a maybe unsatisfying result. This and your suggestion led me to testing a mixture of modeling compound, some 2 up to 5 mm long sisal fibres and acrylic binder. A test piece gave a sense of direction, the first picture is the uncolored mixture, which in this state seems rather flat:

I used much thicker strands for the tree than at the test piece and I think this comes much closer to robinia bark than the former texture.

Cheers,
Volker

Bill Gill

Volker, Adding the sisal fibers to an acrylic binder worked really well for the robinia bark.

Yes Golden products are very high quality but also expensive this side of the pond too. I've used Liquitex Acrylic Matte Medium as a starting point for a variety of small projects. I've added baking soda, very fine sawdust or really fine limestone to it for different textures. I've also added it to Sculptamold and like how it works and how durable it is. All the rockwork and ground cover on my layout is Sculptamold with matte medium or yellow PVA glue and other stuff added to it and it has held up really well.

Barney

Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

nk

I am a big fan of Golden products, especially all the research and development they do with artists and conservators. And Mark Golden is a super nice guy, so of course I want to support his business.

Volker: If you want any Golden products, let me know. I am happy to put a package together for you.

Hydrostat

Thanks a lot, Bill, Barney and Ray ... and Narayan! I'll get in touch  8)

Hydrostat

I am always deeply impressed by Ray Dunakin's shop Interiors, or check out this one.

The daunting sheer amount of items to be created lead on to a long hiatus concerning the Lohmann building. I still haven't found a space to work in and so at the end of last year I got back to this rather sparsely space consuming project. Subsequent to this posting https://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=2257.msg57740#msg57740 there's been some progress, at day and night:

Glasses and watches are made from brass and nicklr silver etchings. I added tiny drops of UV curing resin to imitate lenses and watch glasses and this was the best I could achieve. I had to stick the glasses to the sticky side of a strip of tesa for there was no other way to have and keep them flush with any surface while pouring the resin. 

I had to redo a lot of them because of missing spots, bubbles and other failures.

Some of the watches are wrapped around a small stand made from some plastic and cardboard snippets.

The whole assembly is removable for maintenance of bulbs.

Three more large shopwindows to come in 2030.

Cheers,
Volker

nk

The shops are just great. I love that you have Alpina watches, which were very popular then disappeared with the emergence of quartz watches. They were famous for their shock resistance. And Zeiss lenses need no introduction...I have some in my glasses right now.

Your eye for detail and your execution are spot-on Volker. The grate in the granite step is just great.

You know that the watches should all be set to 10:10 by the way.

finescalerr

He LIVES and his modeling is most satisfactory! Good to see you back on the forum, Volker. -- Russ

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Thank you for improving my marital relations.

Should my wife doubt my sanity or question my devotion to the modelling bench, I merely have to call up one of your posts to provide perspective and illustrate how fortunate she actually is :-)

Fantastic
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

1-32

Hi Volker.
Great great those glasses and the original graphics in the display case are so convincing.
Yes, it looks like you have been very busy.
cheers Kim

Bill Gill

In addition to the amazing glasses and watches, the display windows and entry door are alos very convincing.