• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Feldbahnmodule with ship

Started by fspg2, April 21, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernhard

Your fantastic work always inspires me !

Bernhard

Ray Dunakin

Why does it mill the outer edge twice?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Stuart

fspg2

Many thanks for your words of praise!

@Ray
QuoteWhy does it mill the outer edge twice?

Simply put, to save my milling cutters.
I often use nickel silver (hard) in addition to brass MS58, e.g. as a 0.3mm plate it feels as strong as 0.5mm brass (hard - MS58).
It is somewhat more difficult to mill than MS58. For this reason, I only scratch the surface to a shallow depth in the first milling pass (for cutters up to 1.2 mm only 0.15 mm deep - for larger diameters and thicker plates also 0.2 mm).
Then I use a sandpaper file - with 1000 grit sandpaper stuck to it - to break up the edges, some of which are usually only slightly flared, before I then gradually select a maximum of 1/3 to 1/2 of the milling diameter as a further depth infeed for thicker material.
I mill nickel silver up to 0.4 mm completely through with cutters from 0.8 mm after scratching in the second pass. I allow the milling cutter to plunge at least 0.2 mm into the carrier material.
I also approach this carefully... until a milling cutter breaks off.

I glue my plates to be milled - whether brass, nickel silver, Vivak, Pertinax - onto 12mm to 20mm thick MDF with GUDY® 870.

I generally do not use cutting data calculators, as the speeds are usually given for larger machines with wet cooling.
Sorotec, for example, has an app on Google play and Apple as well as a PDF with tips for download.
The values given there can serve as a guide - I usually made my first attempts with half of these values.
I mill dry, only with aluminum I use spirit as cooling, which I apply with a brush from time to time on the section to be milled (ventilation and no open fire).
If the speed of your spindle cannot reach the specified values, try significantly reduced values in percentage terms.

The Münzel crane has been fitted with a ladder for the boom. After the milling machine stopped working three times in quick succession within about 10 minutes in the middle of its milling job, I was able to solder the ladder together at the end of the day.

Ausleger mit Leiter 03 (fspg2)

Ausleger mit Leiter 04 (fspg2)

Ausleger mit Leiter 05 (fspg2)
Frithjof

Bill Gill

it is difficult to find ways to express how impressive your work is and so is your explanation of how you prepare and mill the parts.

Bernhard

Frithjof, your explanations of the cutting values are absolutely the same as my experience. You should never work with the values specified by the tool manufacturer. These are optimized for industrial use.

Bernhard

finescalerr

Another parallel with the laser: Sometimes it must make two passes to cut thick or very hard materials. Now I better understand how a mill works. And the crane boom (or whatever it is) looks terrific! -- Russ

Lawrence@NZFinescale

It's not really a model. 'Just' the real thing made smaller!
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

1-32

As the saying goes.
A jaw-dropper.
You are certainly keeping up your incredible standard  Frithjof.
All the very best

fspg2

When I recently riveted the jib of the crane arm to the lower U-profile and used the inserted Pertinax strip to limit the depth, I took the following pictures:

Ausleger_Nieten_einsetzen_01 (fspg2)

Ausleger_Nieten_einsetzen_02 (fspg2)

After soldering, I saw a big mistake... I had probably worked "just quickly" without looking closely! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr... :o

Previously, I had soldered the inner L-profiles (2.5mm x 2.5mm) and the 0.3mm nickel-silver gusset plates with 1.0mm wire pins rounded on one side.
However, the L-profiles were mounted facing downwards in the original and not upside down as in my case. :(

Because I count rivets, I could not leave the boom in this condition.

The attempt to solder out the entire inner unit without any losses failed miserably. Neither with the resistance solderer, the soldering iron nor the flame did I reach my goal. The L-profiles detached from the gusset plates first, so that I got ended up the outer boom frame...

Ausleger zweite Runde (fspg2)

...and had all kinds of scrap parts.

ab in den Schrott (fspg2)

Now new parts have to be found "just in a hurry" ;)
Frithjof

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

finescalerr

Misery loves company so it's refreshing to realize that even you sometimes make a mistake. I make them much more often! -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bernhard

Annoying, but at least you've found a good use for the scrap.

Bernhard

fspg2

In the meantime, all the unsuccessful parts of the boom have been made and fitted again - but this time the right way round :!:

Rivet pins soldered_01 (fspg2)

Small sections of 0.5mm fluxless solder wire were soldered with the resistor soldering tool. The black "mud" always occurs when using the S39 flux. It disappears again when it is subsequently washed off with hand washing paste and a toothbrush.

In February 2012, I had already milled out and pre-assembled the first parts for the crane base. After that, they disappeared into the "harbor crane project box".
Yesterday we continued. Once again, a Pertinax jig was milled for precise alignment, into which the individual parts are inserted in exact alignment for soldering.

Drehkranz_Sockel_01 (fspg2)
[/ ;) url]

Drehkranz_Sockel_02 (fspg2)

Drehkranz_Sockel_03 (fspg2)
[/url]

In the picture above, all the corner angles between the cross frames and the outer side stringers are still missing... but will come soon. ;)
Frithjof