• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Boiki Class Destroyer @ 35th

Started by turtle, December 03, 2014, 08:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turtle

Good evening all,
Here be my latest headache - Boiki Class Destroyer of the Imperial Navy 1900's era building to the 1/35th scale so approx dimensions = 1828 mm x 183 mm and displacing 8.5 kg.

1:1's:

Basic GA's

and the startings of a basic hull and deck:

not the prettiest of sights at the moment, but after a couple of hours on the end of a sanding block it shouldn't look as bad  :-\.
Lots of rethinking various things due to the larger scale and narrow beam - guessing it may be a little 'tippy'.
Cheers for having a gander.

marc_reusser

This looks like its going to be spectacular.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

5thwheel

Nice pictures.  Given the size of the men in the photos, that is not a very large ship. Almost has a submarine look to it.  Long and sleek; probably moved through the water smoothly but very hard to turn. With the narrow width it probably rocked a lot.  Four boilers; wonder what kind of engines it had.  I think It will make a great model.  Keep it coming.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

turtle

Marc - I believe that should read: spectacularly average  ;)

Bill - here's a few spec's of the 1:1:
Modified copy of a French "Sokol" design,
Dimensions - 63.96m x 6.39m (old school = 210' x 21')
Displacement - 350 tons
Machinery - reciprocating (VTE), 2-shafts, 4 x Yarrow (later Normand) boilers IHP - 5600, 26 kts.
Bunkers - 80 tons
Complement - 62/69
It's stated that they had good sea-going capabilities - a couple took part in the 'around the world' voyage to 'Tsushima'.

However that being said about it's sea-going capabilities I'm still thinking I might have to add some anti-roll strakes (removable).

Cheers.   

Ray Dunakin

Cool. Is this going to be another r/c model?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

turtle

Hi Ray,
Yep another RC build.
This one is for me, however someone has already put in an offer so  :-\ ::).
Will probably use this as a test-bed for a couple of new techniques - aluminium soldering mainly, but if that fails it might just end up as a plastic-fantastic  :D (weight being the main issue).
An hour and half of blocking and it looks a little bit better  :-\.
To be continued _ _ _ _

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

turtle

Experimental day yesterday and today. Built up a torpedo tube in brass (seem to have altered the camera settings  :(, sorry about the quality) and have just started one in plastic so I can do some weight calculations.
Not the prettiest of soldering jobs but as it may or may not end up in the recycling bin who really cares  :). So a quick peek at the TT (hand wheels are pre-built and from the scrap/parts bin  :-[):

To be continued _ _ _ _

finescalerr

You really do owe us an apology; that must be the most hideously modeled torpedo I've ever seen. Please continue to fabricate subassemblies at such a painfully low level. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Simply WOW! That is truly a work of art.

After seeing where this is going, I am definitely binning all my in-progress boat builds.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on December 07, 2014, 12:32:06 AM
You really do owe us an apology; that must be the most hideously modeled torpedo I've ever seen. Please continue to fabricate subassemblies at such a painfully low level. -- Russ

For once (and only once ) , I am in agreement with Russ , this is a shamefully inadequate piece of work and really shouldn't be allowed to get passed the quality police check . Therefore , if you do consider it worthy of the bin may I suggest you submit the item in question to a member of the sub-committee (not necessarily myself) for assessment .

If the sub-committee decide that you are justified in binning the aforementioned item then they are under orders to redistribute said item to a worthy member of this Forum to put on their mantelpiece to show lesser mortals what can be done with a few bits of metal and a couple of dollops of solder . If they don't have a mantelpiece then said item will automatically be sent to my house , which does have one . Or it will when I build it .

This policy has become necessary due to the high incidence of amazing work being discarded willy-nelly into the dustbin by top notch modellers because "it doesn't meet their high and exacting standards" . This has caused great distress amongst us lesser modellers who very often would kill for a cast off from the likes of Chuck , Marc or Russ . In Russ's case I am not necessarily talking about the same sort of model as the other two !

I hope that I have made the position of the Forum Management very clear and that if you have any doubts please don't hesitate to ask a member of the Management team for clarification .

Thank you

Nick , CEO of the Management Team and Chairman of the Quality Sub-Committee .

mabloodhound

"Not the prettiest of soldering jobs"

My God, man.   What's not to like?   I can't spot a single soldering defect.
Just looks perfect to me and the details are incredible.
:o
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

5thwheel

Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Hauk

Quote from: turtle on December 06, 2014, 11:01:17 PM
Experimental day yesterday and today. Built up a torpedo tube in brass (seem to have altered the camera settings  :(, sorry about the quality) and have just started one in plastic so I can do some weight calculations.
Not the prettiest of soldering jobs but as it may or may not end up in the recycling bin who really cares  :). So a quick peek at the TT (hand wheels are pre-built and from the scrap/parts bin  :-[):

As others have pointed out, what is wrong with the soldering? Looks perfect to me.

And what have you done to the brass, it looks nickel-plated?

Would love to hear more about how you made this torpedo.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Mr Potato Head

I'm not sure this is the correct sentiment ??? ??? ???
Bullocks :o :o :o
I'm tired of this thread
I can't look anymore ::) ::) ::)
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho