• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Hog Islander Ships Hull Plating

Started by MT Hopper, September 10, 2014, 03:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hopper

Well I've tried the books and other Fora so I'll finally try here. Does anyone here happen to know the hull plating method used on the Hog Islanders?
At first it seemed as if the hulls were In Out rivet plated. Then Clinker then Lap Straked. Then it seems more as if they were flush plated with flush riveting. Considering it was WarTime I'm guessing the Flush Plate with Flush rivets. I gather welding was too slow and still in its childhood at that time so FAST production was required (although the Hog just missed WWI it was used in WWII).

Cheers
Will
From the Heart of the Continent

turtle

Hi ya - definitely not my area of interest, however out of curiosity did a bit of poking around:

http://amhistory.si.edu/onthewater/exhibition/6_2.html

from various other sources it appears flush plate and rivet was the accepted standard at the time.
HTH.