• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The former blacksmith shop in Rickarum, Sweden. 1/35 scale,

Started by Junior, May 09, 2011, 02:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

Stunning!
The details are exceptional.
I would also like to see/hear more about them.
I saved the images of the bench and ladder for reference.
(just a nit pick; the vice needs some bolts to hold it to the bench) ;)
Looking forward to more! Makes me want to start my machine shop................
-Marty

TRAINS1941

Anders

That is just beautiful work you've started.  Like Marc said how about some words on how you did the worbench top and the tires.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

MASIGMON

JUNIOR.  I think you have made a big move from 1/87 to 1/35.  Work & detail is outstanding

mike sigmon
jacksonville, fl

Chuck Doan

You certainly have adapted well to the new size! Love it!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Gordon Ferguson

Well Anders,

my "origonal" idea for a 1/35 scale small junk yard/workshop filled with cement mixers and road rollers,various bits of old builders junk etc has been well and truly scuppered.
Wonderful work so far - presume this is just a couple of hours work that you have fitted in over last week or so since the garage build was finished ... I am not only jealous of your talent but also the speed of the build.

I too would like more details of you painting techniques but purely in an academic sense as even knowing the "how" would not let me get close to this look.

Looking forward to the next chapter in the story. 
Gordon

finescalerr

Frederic Testard

I am as impressed as Gordon by the speed of Anders. Not only does he make 'most satisfactory' work, but he makes it in a 'most fast' time...
Frederic Testard

Ray Dunakin

Beautiful work so far, and a very interesting prototype to model! The buildings and junk pile are reminiscent of many that I have seen in rural areas of the USA.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Junior

Thanks very much guys - some great input there ;D ;D! Here are the paint descriptions for the ladder, bench and tires. Not sure if anyone was curious about the paint job on the tools and other details if so let me know because all of that is a totally different story with other brands of paint such as Tamiya, Vallejo and the Alclad 2 Lacquers.

Ladder.

Kappler wood stained with diluted Humbrol 64 Light Grey. Usual splits, knot holes etc. also added nail and screw heads not really visible in the picture. A couple of more stains with very diluted 33 Black and 29 Dark Earth. Dry brushed with 140 Gull Grey. Some of the paint stains were painted with a fine brush but most of them were done as splashes. Loaded a brush with diluted paint and used a toothpick to force the bristles away from the ladder and then let it go. Careful there the whole thing can be ruined in a second. The black stains are supposed to represent tar - saw this on another ladder. Attached is a picture that I used for reference.

Tires.

Sprayed black from a can. Humbrol 64 Light Grey and 33 Black mixed on a palette to a couple of different shades. Painted with a flat brush. Dry brushed slightly with 64 Light Grey, 63 Sand and 148 Random Tan. Finally pastel powders in various earth tones. Attached is a reference picture.

Bench.

This is from the Tamiya "Engine Maintenance Set". It came with a rather ugly plastic top and I have never had any luck with painting styrene to represent wood therefore I glued some very thin boards to the bench top and made a new metal frame from a styrene strip to match the additional thickness. Same paint job as for the ladder but 29 Dark Earth was sustituted for 62 Leather. The black and brown stains were less diluted than for the ladder. Finally brushed on some pastel powders in earth and grey tones.

Hope it makes sense ???

Marty, thanks for pointing out the missing bolts on the vise. The funny thing is that the art work on the box cover (same Tamiya set as the bench) shows a vise with four bolts.

Anders  ;D

Junior

Junior

Junior

Forgot a couple of things.....

Marc, you suggested that the cement mixer should be modeled but after seeing Gordon´s masterpiece and your magnificent styrene work I´ll pass - maybe a pile of cement ;D!

The attached picture is a close up of the south wall - to me it looks like wizard Doan was in Sweden recently and did some 1:1 work ????

Anders  ;D

Pic ][/img]

BKLN

Very nice, Anders!
Funny to see that even the most idyllic Swedish village has some cluttered wastelands.

I can't wait to see more!

Chuck Doan

I like the vegetation-both the variety and the composition.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

shropshire lad

Quote from: Chuck Doan on May 10, 2011, 09:54:38 AM
I like the vegetation-both the variety and the composition.

I agree , Chuck . Very nicely done . I have printed the pictures off and will be using them as guides when I return to vegetating myself .

With reference to the prototype photos . I pity the poor sods who had to build the stonework . There are some whoppers in those walls ,

Nick