• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Laser Kit Bench Build (almost a 1 night project)

Started by marc_reusser, August 15, 2009, 03:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

TWO FINISHED PROJECTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Next you'll be telling me you ran the gas mech!

FWIW: I like the second bench, the finish on the first one seems too thick in my opinion.
Your right about the lack of grain, found that to be a concern when working with the strathmore.

Mj

finescalerr

The lack of grain in Strathmore has also been a spectre I can't seem to shake. But I don't know whether it's because I'm used to exaggerated model textures or because I haven't been able to come up with a credible way to model peeling paint and wood texture with Strathmore.

On the one hand, were we to shrink an actual board with peeling paint to 1/48 actual size, the depth of the raw wood below the paint (and the grain of the wood itself) probably would be unmeasurable. At the same time, we still might perceive a difference in the texture of the paint in comparison to that of wood, mostly in the way each refracts light.

On Marc's 1:32 bench, even though it's a larger scale, the paint appears slightly heavy and, to some extent, the wood grain itself too coarse. That is because we can do nothing to reduce the scale of real world materials.

So what's worse, overstated or understated texture?

While there is really no answer, Chuck Doan provided the only practical solution: Build to an even larger scale.

Russ

chester

You've brought up an interesting question Russ. I think that to what degree we overstate or understate a texture depends largely on which scale we are modeling in. Personally, I don't think Marc's first bench is overdone mainly because what has been done would be less perceptible if underdone. I know that sentence sounds rather redundant but in looking at the bench, it just wouldn't be as appealing to me with less. I picture this bench with heavy paint because in fact, it had been painted many times. Hey besides, he actually finished something.

Chuck Doan

I agree Chester, I liked the multi-coat look.

Is a good meal best while eating or when your done?
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

chester

Quote from: Chuck Doan on August 20, 2009, 04:30:15 PM

Is a good meal best while eating or when your done?

I guess that depends on how many teeth you have left.

RoughboyModelworks

Cool almost-one-evening project Marc. I agree, I find the weathered version visually more evocative even though the texturing appears a little heavy, at least in the photos. It certainly has more character.

Paul

marc_reusser

Thanks guys.....Chester is correct in the look I was after of an old bench that had previously been repainted/overpainted many times, with that thick glossy paint they use for those things.  The close-up photo does exagerate the feeling.....when just  looking at it normal, I do feel it works.  There are though things I would add and do differently if I were to do it again.

I agree though it is always a tough line (except for Chuck) of where/when to or, not to, add some charicature and/or more texture to give a subject more interest, read, detail and character.

Here are some quick pics that I used for inspiration...the one I really wanted I cant find on my HD.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Nother...though this is lichen and not paint......the paint long ago dissapeared.

M-Works

marc_reusser

Dos mas.....

M

M-Works

MrBrownstone

Hello Marc,

Very cool looking bench...

cutting the material...hmmm

I do have a question about the laser cutting of the material as well...

Would it make more sense to cut your demensions/cut-outs just a little smaller/undersize (i.e. the width of the burned edges)
then proceed to trim/file/sand the remaing required demensions to eliminate the burned edges ?

okay sorry for the lack of knowing.  :-[

ps: is the burning issue only with wood materials?

I ask these things why...( I am considering on purchasing a laser cutter and if anyone would know the pros and cons of working with them... is quite a few if not most of you guys here.)
(sorry not sure if this is off the topic... let me know if I should have asked this in another thread)

Mike