• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Work in progress: Westinghouse boxcab electric

Started by Hauk, September 09, 2009, 03:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

Quote from: John McGuyer on September 13, 2009, 04:42:05 PM
This is why I suggested it. I use it all the time. I am presently doing a 1/32 stock car that has all the underside brake details which has strings of pieces similar to what you are doing.

Would be nice to see some pictures and hear a little more on your soldering techniques & materials!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

John McGuyer

Sorry! When I first started coming on this forum, I was all excited about posting projects. Unfortunately there was virtually no interest in what I make.

John

Hauk

Quote from: John McGuyer on September 14, 2009, 09:05:52 AM
Sorry! When I first started coming on this forum, I was all excited about posting projects. Unfortunately there was virtually no interest in what I make.

John

I am sorry to hear that, but for the best of my life I can not recall any postings on projects of this kind.
I can only apologize for sleeping in class, and urge you to reconsider posting again.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

jacq01

John,

QuoteSorry! When I first started coming on this forum, I was all excited about posting projects. Unfortunately there was virtually no interest in what I make.

What about your large scale locomotive and gondola ?  These posts enjoyed a lot of attention.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

John McGuyer

Hauk,
What happens is when there are no comments at all, a topic is quickly replaced by more popular ones. That is why you don't remember them

Jacq,
Quite to the contrary, I made many postings on both and got zero comments and virtually no lookers.

There is no problem and I'm not upset, I'm quite happy building my trains. I just thought I could contribute to the whole and apparently what I offer is not what people want to see.

John

marc_reusser

Hauk:
Absolutely beautiful work. Thanks for posting this project. very interesting to see your approach and methods used to make the parts. thanks for the Etching link.

John:
I am probably guilty of not posting in the gondola thread.....but it was not directed at your project personally.....as with this thread, Paul's shay thread, Gerds thread, and other threads that involve such fine and beautiful brass-work, and machining, I find that I have very little to offer and contribute (as I have no metal working skills whatsoever)...other than continually saying "great work"...which gets boring on my part...and does nothing to help the thread along......so I tend to just sit in amazement, and enjoy watching them develop and learn what I can from them.

When or where I feel I can make a worthwile contribution, I always try to do so........otherwise I just tend to be quiet an watch.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Hey, McGuyer! Quitcher bellyachin' and post more stuff! (You know I always appreciate it.) -- Russ

lab-dad

Hauk,
Great stuff!
I love the machining - may get me back on the Corliss!
I would love to learn CAD and do some photoetching but I think I am too old to learn it in time to use it!
Please keep posting, especially the Step by step.
-Marty

John McGuyer

Marc, it isn't your responsibility to comment on every posting and all who know me will tell you I'm not interested in accolades. I do however want to know if people are interested, or am I just wasting my time that I could be building.

So I want to direct my remarks to all you lurkers. You guys out there who come look, but never post any remarks. For crying out loud guys, you have some of the best, most innovative modelers available anywhere to answer your questions. They are willing, no scratch that, anxious to tell you how they did it. Or suggest how you might do something on your favorite project. Not only do you have super painters, but great machinists and builders. Just look at this beautiful box cab Hauk is building. The thing is incredible. Ask him about it. Uncle Russ posted some paper models. PAPER mind you! And virtually nobody asked him about them. What a loss! If you can't afford to risk a sheet of paper in your inkjet, you had best go grab a beer and sit mindlessly in front of the boob tube. There was some guy from Japan on MLS that was doing incredible stuff with paper. I would love to see Uncle pursue more but he doesn't think you are interested. Check out the stuff from Jerry Barnes. He may not build museum quality models, and he will be the first to tell you so, but talk about innovation. Home Depot is not safe when Jerry arrives. Ask him about how to do something. These people will just quit posting as I have done as they think you don't care.

This forum is without peer. The very best modelers are here and willing to share with you. You just have to post and don't tell them "Nice job" or "Gee! I wish I could build like that". Rather ask them "How did you do thus and so"? Or "Do you have a method or source for that".

Just remember you lurkers that if you don't post something in the comments section, these topics will very rapidly sink into oblivion and you will never find out what you wanted to know.

John

Ken Hamilton

Not to get off-topic, but whatever you happen to build, or whoever you happen to be,
posting ongoing projects here is definitely NOT a waste of modeling time.  For any number
of reasons ("time" being one of them) I don't respond to all the threads I read...probably not
many of us do...but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate them and learn from them. 
I encourage everyone to simply keep the in-progress pictures coming, comments or not.

Anyway, this boxcab is amazing.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Hauk

Quote from: Ken Hamilton on September 15, 2009, 10:13:17 AM
Not to get off-topic, but whatever you happen to build, or whoever you happen to be,
posting ongoing projects here is definitely NOT a waste of modeling time.  For any number
of reasons ("time" being one of them) I don't respond to all the threads I read...probably not
many of us do...but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate them and learn from them. 
I encourage everyone to simply keep the in-progress pictures coming, comments or not.

Anyway, this boxcab is amazing.

Thanks a lot for the kind words, all of you! I would be a liar if I denied that all the  praise is a grat confidence booster!
But there is more to posting than that. This forum is one of the very few where people dare to offer constructive criticism. It would be a shame if that changed. I post to trigger suggestions and others experiences, including critical comments. 
I would also love it if I could inspire others to start similiar projects, as It would add to the collective knowledge of the forum.

It also feel that it would be a great shame if people starts to feel that "atta boy" posts are mandatory. The value of the nice words could easily become devaluated. But  please bear in mind that I´m a Norwegian, and that means I am a member of one of the more low-key species on the planet (at least when we are sober). Our idea of cheering wildly is a muted "nice" and a little nod... Maybe I have been a little too stingy with my praise of others work, but I feel that I should have something more substantional to offer than just a mouthful of adjectives when I write a posting.

This thread is also in a way a response to all the good stuff that is posted on the forum. It is inspired by all the great work I see here, and it is an attempt to give something back.

Regards, Hauk
--

finescalerr

Håvard, I would love to tear into your modeling and criticize the heck out of it. But, so far to my eye, it is virtually perfect. You have rendered nothing I could use for creative castigation. For now, I suppose, you will have to live with compliments. (Maybe we'll have a shot at you when you paint the boxcab!) -- Russ

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on September 15, 2009, 12:39:41 PM
Håvard, I would love to tear into your modeling and criticize the heck out of it. But, so far to my eye, it is virtually perfect. You have rendered nothing I could use for creative castigation. For now, I suppose, you will have to live with compliments. (Maybe we'll have a shot at you when you paint the boxcab!) -- Russ

Ha, Ha, that´s the advantage of picking the photo angles yourself!

But you are right, the thought of putting the airbrush to the model scares the heck out of me! It´s a golden opportunity to spoil everything I have achived.  I have not gotten further than testing Tamiya fine surface primer on some scrap etchings. I have invested in a decent compressor and airbrush, so I have put myself in a situation where I can´t even blame my tools. But I still havent decided what type of paint to use, so If people have suggestions, I´m all ears. And I am readig up on everything I can come across on the matter, especially on the military modellers forums.

But here is a sucject for discussion:

Should I go for a plain airbrush job with some simple weathering as a finish, or go to the trouble of using sophisticated painting techniques like pre-shading, modulation with oil paint, filters and what not. Marc, this is your cue!
Regards, Hauk
--

marc_reusser

Ha...Oh, great......sure put me on the spot!  :-X ;D

I have an answer brewing.....will post it a bit later today as I have to give it serious attention, and  cant just glibly throw it out.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: Hauk on September 15, 2009, 10:51:23 AM

But  please bear in mind that I´m a Norwegian, and that means I am a member of one of the more low-key species on the planet (at least when we are sober). Our idea of cheering wildly is a muted "nice" and a little nod...

Hey now, don't go taking all the credit for being soft-spoken and polite. We Canadians are often referred to as the most polite people o the planet (when sober), even when we're telling some wanker to go get stuffed...  ;)

One of the best aspects of this forum continues to be an honest sharing of knowledge, insights and skills that appears in so many of the posts. It also helps that no one takes themselves too seriously.

Paul