• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

ruston&hornsby 1-32 n 20

Started by 1-32, May 15, 2013, 09:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on May 20, 2013, 02:43:01 AM
Oooooooh. Those are some beutiful locos. I truly covet the Ns2f. Have waanted one for so long. Have been collecting mfr catalog pages for years. So wish the mfr sold a static kit of that...would probably buy it in a heart-beat....though I do so dislike soldering and metal work.

I'm sure Bernard will make one for you without a motor . Though not before he has built mine , and my Decauville . You Jonny Come Latelies will have to wait .

Nick

artizen

I must be second in the queue then? I am waiting for my rolling chassis with RC as well.

I must not be tempted into a fifth different modelling scale either! I'm already working in 1:12, 1:24, 1:43 and 1:76 so 1:35 takes the back seat!
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Ray Dunakin

All these lovely little critters being displayed here lately are really inspiring! Makes me want to build one.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

hey ray
there is a kit from scale link of a simplex,pewter brass it uses a black beetle like mechanism great fun 1-35-1-32 no soldering just glue
kind regards kim

1-32

hi all
it works just fine in fact i crawls all day really ,no jumps or any other other system troubles.

i am really happy another 1-32 scale diesel.here are a few other photoes of the progress on the rest of the loco.soldered brass etch working gear shift just right for super detail.

and finally my soldering tool of choice a small butane flame touch,a lot of heat fast.

kind regards kim

finescalerr

Neat work on the brass. -- Russ

1-32

hi all what a mess this model is but it is necessary,better to get it over now than later.
are you taking notice PH,i will be over to test you later.

when i was fitting the motor to the body i noticed that it was contacting the fire wall [the brass frame]and was causing a short.the solution cut out the brass and replace with stryrene.
next job -rivets[i like the t shirt]on the brass etches there are small dimples that show the location of these items.drill out with .5 mm drill bit them glue  .7mm rivets.in 1-32 scale are about 30mm scaled out-nice.
till next time all the best kim

marc_reusser

Oy Veh!...better you than me!  ;D

Was there no possibolity of just adding/laminating some insulating tape, or thin styrene on the brass firewall/bulkhead, to keep the contact/short from occuring?

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

1-32

hey marc i had some time today so i got stuck in.a bit of a change from yesterday-3 happy snaps of the little loco.

[imghttp://images54.fotki.com/v461/photos/3/1816483/12025695/DSCF1697-vi.jpg]http://[/img].

the fire wall is a big problem,if you adjust the cabin the end won,t line up with the chassie.styrene is a good solution.you can pre- finish the walls and floor complete with gear box on the bench then slot them in ,like a overlay.[love the rivits]
kind regards kim

marc_reusser

She looks sweet in her new coat.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

danpickard

The original designers of this loco have absolutely no clue about graceful lines and good looks...it's one ugly little mongrel  ;D , but your build is looking real nice Kim. It's a good thing we can appreciate this one for having "a really great personality", because I think this one had its looks handed out with a blindfold and a sledgehammer!  A nice clean primer coat can feel very rewarding.  Enjoying the build on this one, so thanks for the updates.

Cheers,
Dan

1-32

hi dan
i agree ,it is ugly.imagine working in it all day you cant stand in the cab you have to sit with your legs toward the door and your neck twisted to look out the frount window.i have seen pictures of drivers standing outside the cab or even walking along side it as long as they have acess  the gear leaver.
these ruston hornsby have had a very long working life of about 50 years and have been altered in just about any way possible so the same stands for the model ,at least the meck allows smooth running.
there are very few kits on the market in 1=32 scale and i always look forward to the next [if there is going to be a next?].i had bought a on30 gas mechanical but have re sold it i am going to stick to 1-32 scale .the loco i really want is a lister.in 1-32 scale there have been 12 locoes produced 2 kits the rest limited runs of 3 they have been produced by master model builders bernard of australia and paul berstine of new zeland[is there anymore?]
in the collection of the late mike south of canada there was a 1-32 lister plus examples of the other 11 ,his widow offered part or the whole  for sale but then the whole lot was gone[who bought it? ]
kind regards kim

Ray Dunakin

Looking good!

As for the design of the beast, it may not be purty but it sure has character!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

hey ray the exhaust always adds more personality.
just thought of another kit in 1-32 scale.malcome moore diesel kit from new zeland.
kind regards kim

Younger

I believe the Malcomb Moore was powered with a 21 stud Ford V-8 running on gasoline.
-Younger
-Younger