• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

ruston&hornsby 1-32 n 20

Started by 1-32, May 15, 2013, 09:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-32

hi all
i dont know if this kit has been covered in the past but anyway this is a new kit for me and promises to be a highly detailed slow running loco in 1-32 scale-but.i like the warning on the side of the box-not sutible for young children it should read not sutible for the sane.it is mainly brass etched sheets with cast parts for the details.the  motor is a faulhaber corless lovely.they say most of it should be soldered but i have gone for a mixture of solder and epoxy.

you have to be super careful to get everything lined up of the gear box will not work but they dont give you much help for example the cogs on the axles dead centers but no marks.i made a gig to out for styrene to help.

to make the body there a three different etches to play with but they have designed it so most of it can be taken apart just dont get solder in the bolts a real pain i have already broken half of the bolts.

i usually hate this type of kit i cam\n fiddle for ever and still have problems i hope this is different
kind regards kim

Ray Dunakin

Very interesting to see how something like this goes together, and what issues one might face.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Ah...I have seen one of these built up, and painted by Jerry Kitts....a masterful modeler and machinist,... and it did apparently take a bit of work, but made for a lovely little loco.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

1-32

hey ray and marc
i felt i had seen it before a few years ago,yes jerry did a great job.this kit is quality and really shows off what 1-32 scale is all about-detail.the seat and gear box cover is worth the price alone.as i get further into it the though that have gone into the etches are coming out and the fine adjustments that can be made with emery paper.as the instructions says once you are out of the chassie and wheels the rest is pure fun.
kind regards kim

danpickard

Interesting looking little loco kit Kim.  I look forward to seeing where you go with it.

Cheers,
Dan

Mr Potato Head

I just got one in the mail and the first thing I said was: I wonder if Jerry Kitts will build mine for me ??? ??? ???
::) ::) ::)
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

1-32

hi dan and mph
stay with the kit i am finding that there are bits that can be left out of the chassie.the main problem that i am finding is that the chassie is made up with 3 etch sheets.it is hard to get free running with so much thickness i am hoping that the shaft bearings will be enough to keep the wheels and motor in line.in many ways the system of so many etches is a bit old fashion they should have bit the bullet and milled the whole thing out of one piece of metal  also the brass 10ba cheese head bolts are just two soft some nice s/s hex head bolts would be way better.
kind regards kim

Mr Potato Head

keep going I am watching  :o
thanks
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

1-32

hi all
try using this approach on plastic gears.mirjana has lovely hands

a battery drill is great it has a clutch and variable speeds the end results is that it loosens everything up on a otherwise very stiff mechanisms.what i have done so far and seems to work[fingers crossed] is
1-solder the outer chassie to the inner chassie at the ends only
2-file functional axle boxes to fit
3-the screws that hold wheels to the axles are 2 long file back
5-i have left off the keeper plate [too busy].i am hoping that the 2 shaft bearings will be enough to keep the drive shaft in line.these 2axle bearings are dogs and need a lot of work to keep the meck free.they will also need packers as when you tighten up the drive shaft there is 2 much tension without the packers.
kind regards kim

Franck Tavernier

This is no longer the same mechanism as the previous series produced by Bridge Model!

On the first series, the secondary transmission was carried out by belt and pulleys. The first stage of the transmission was directly transmitted by the Faulhaber motorgearhead placed vertically through a couple of helical gears ... ;)

It's a good news that these kits are available again!

Franck

1-32

hi frank
you are right i think this is a new issue from slaters,it can be gauged for both 16.5 or 20 mm gauge track.the body and castings are the same as the original.it is great to see a few more 1-35,1-32 new releases all i want now is a lister in1-32 scale.
kind regards kim

narrowgauger

Hi Kim

several new kits now on the market, including Mark Hesketh's O&K.   Ransome & Rapier kit is due out in a few weeks time to be closely followed by a Ns2f.   all these kits feature a solid brass chassis with cross helical / gearhead motors final drive for great slow speed operation.

the O&K is available in open & closed cab version.

all kits also available with the new TrainworxOz super radio control / battery operation, which would be really super for your modular layouts.

have attached some photos of the O&K for interest.

have fun
Bernard

narrowgauger

Hi Kim

some more shots of the O&K's and the forthcoming Ns2f

enjoy
Bernard

1-32

hi bernard always a pleasure to see your work.
great detail-t handles on the engine covers and those journals -very nice.
kind regards kim

marc_reusser

Oooooooh. Those are some beutiful locos. I truly covet the Ns2f. Have waanted one for so long. Have been collecting mfr catalog pages for years. So wish the mfr sold a static kit of that...would probably buy it in a heart-beat....though I do so dislike soldering and metal work.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works