• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

In-ko-pah RR: The Princess Shilo Mine

Started by Ray Dunakin, January 02, 2014, 09:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Still making slow progress...

After studying pics of a prototype headframe, I realized that the rear horizontal members on this part of the structure were not needed, so I carefully cut them out. (I left the two lowest sets because, unlike the prototype, my headframe has not other support in that area.) In this photo you can also see the holes for the tie rods. Some of these had to be predrilled during assembly:

Next I put together the support structure, which is somewhat like a trestle bent:

The two components were painted separately:

I scraped and sanded the paint from the contact points, and glued the two sections together. Then I started building the rear braces. There are still some other details to be added. These details, and the rear braces, will be painted once everything is in place. Here's how it looks so far:

I also have to build a "bridge" from the headframe to the top of the ore bin.  Carts full of ore would be pushed across this bridge, to be dumped into the bin.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

kneighbarger

Beautiful work Ray. Love the metal cylinder ore bin.
They are out there if you look for them.
This one is south of SearchLight, NV.
Ken

kneighbarger

Quote from: Mr Potato Head on January 03, 2014, 12:18:32 PM
At the Duck Factory where I work we have a sayin: "Bigger's not better! Better is Better"
But in this case Bigger is better, Nice job, I don't think I have ever seen a cylinder type ore bin
Very Cool! I'm not sure I quite understand the plaststruck cone part? it was pre-formed?
But great job
MPH

Gil, how about 6 sided ore bins made from 2"x6" ?
Ken

Ray Dunakin

Those hexagonal bins are cool... do you know where that is?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Mr Potato Head

Ken & Ray
I have seen bins like that before,...................
Not sure why it's hexagon?
Seams like it would use more materials and harder to construct than normal square or rectangle ones.
You know them miners: more time on their hands than common sense,...................
Cool scene nice junk and texture
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

kneighbarger

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on January 31, 2014, 10:53:49 AM
Those hexagonal bins are cool... do you know where that is?

They are located at Nelson, NV, between Boulder and Searchlight.
They are in an off limits area, but if you ever want to check them out,
let me know, I would be happy to introduce you to the Werly's and show you around.
I have posted some photos on Free Rails:
http://freerails.com/view_topic.php?id=4753&forum_id=43

Ken

NORCALLOGGER

Quote from: Mr Potato Head on January 31, 2014, 11:12:36 AM
Ken & Ray
I have seen bins like that before,...................
Not sure why it's hexagon?
Seams like it would use more materials and harder to construct than normal square or rectangle ones.
You know them miners: more time on their hands than common sense,...................
Cool scene nice junk and texture
MPH

May have something to do with structural strength per volume of material containment, shorter distances between joints less chance of outward bulging..