• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bovine transportation vehicle

Started by John McGuyer, January 23, 2010, 11:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John McGuyer

Here is the painted end from the door side. These also got soot from the steam engines all over the top and two streaks of dirt thrown up from the wheels.

And the other end from the brake side. As I mentioned before, the cut levers do work. They had several versions of these levers. On this car, it was the one with multiple bends.

John McGuyer

This last shot I had to throw in just to show engines other than gas mechanicals. The GS-4 is later in life when they started hauling freight. They took off all the side skirts and painted them all black. The AC-11 is one of the last of the Cab-forwards. At times these two engines hauled many of these stock cars. I can recall as a child counting 100 cars behind one AC-11/12. This also gives you some idea of the size of these little stock cars.

Geoff Ringle

Really nice... I am a big fan of your work.
Geoff

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Quit showing off, McGuyer! You already know it's an excellent model and you are just trying to get me to admit it. But I won't. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

John

Outstanding detail and model.  Question for you the cab forward did you build that?  And the second question can you post a picture of it.  Just my favorite line and engine every built just love the Cab-Forwards

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Ken Hamilton

This is just gorgeous.  I love all those little hardware pieces and the
"square-headed bolt" technique is priceless!  Well worth the effort.

Don't listen to Uncle Russ - the rest of us like it................
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

John McGuyer

Thank you very much for your kind words.
Uncle Russ, this one is barely adequate but I keep learning.
Ray, I don't know what kind of resin Bob uses. I do know it is not some exotic stuff like my old business partner Lloyd Asbury used.
Jerry, The cab-forward is also my favorite. Goes way back to when I was 5 years old and the SP tracks ran behind our house. This one was an Accucraft factory damaged unit that I got and repaired. It was then extensively detailed and painted. Here are some pictures:

The first shows the front of the smoke box. You can see some of the air pumps and lines.
Second is the side of the smoke box. Note all the different rods and levers. Accucraft really blew these.

John McGuyer

Here I tried to get you a straight on shot of the plow as they are quite unique on the cab forwards. Sort of a double compound curve. Really fun to make. The setting is Bob Uniack's layout in Los Angeles
The second shot is at the BTS in Ontario pulling a string of scratch built drop bottom gondolas.

John McGuyer

Two more shots at the BTS. The sound system is Phoenix. I managed to find a tape of this particular engine (#4274) and sent it to Phoenix. They made me a sound system from that tape that has the compound chuff, plus the air pumps that are so unique to cab-forwards. The cab-forwards are also one of the few engines with both a horn and whistle.

You'll notice in the second photo how some of the pipes were moved to clear the front truck. This engine was modified to where it will now go around 10 foot diameter curves (stock are 20 foot). That way it will operate on Del Oro Pacific.

finescalerr

It's enough to make someone question his allegiance to narrow gauge. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Hey John

You just made my day.  Just beautiful thanks for all the pictures.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Jerry Barnes

Great work John, as usual. I was thinking about making another stock car, did one last year, but after seeing yours I may just go hide mine!

Ray Dunakin

That cab forward is awesome! I love those things. For a few months in the winter of '51-52, my dad worked as a brakeman on the SP and rode trains pulled by cab forwards.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World