• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Feldbahnmodule with ship

Started by fspg2, April 21, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Satisfactory, of course. -- Russ

fspg2

I continued with the machining of the four wheels.

After cutting through the retaining bars, I was able to continue machining the wheels on the lathe.

To do this, I turned the end of a 14.0mm brass round rod to 12.0mm, drilled a 1.6mm deep hole with a 5.0mm milling cutter and then milled it to a diameter of 6.0mm. This gave me a centric pocket for the 6.0mm collar of the wheels.
This was followed by a 1.8mm hole for a 2.0mm thread to secure the wheels.

Laufrad abdrehen 01 (fspg2)

This allowed me to bring the four wheels to the final dimension in three passes, one after the other. A dial gauge showed the exact depth.

Laufrad abdrehen 02 (fspg2)

The outer edges were slightly rounded with a small flat file.

Laufrad abdrehen 03 (fspg2)

After the second side of the wheel had also been rounded, the surface was treated with 1000 grit sandpaper and sanding fleece.

Laufrad abdrehen 04 (fspg2)

(a longer screw was used for this photo to show the assembly more clearly)

Then the wheels were changed.

Laufrad abdrehen 05 (fspg2)

Now the wheels just had to be sandblasted and burnished.

Laufrad abdrehen 06 (fspg2)

Frithjof

finescalerr

That looks so easy I'm sure anyone can do it with no practice! -- ssuR

fspg2

Hello,

@Russ
I have to agree with you :D  :)

The 3D drawing and the Münzel crane substructure assembled for testing are starting to look similar.

Münzelkran  Unterbau 17 (fspg2)

Münzelkran  Unterbau 18 (fspg2)

A few stiffening profiles and gusset plates are still missing.
As I unfortunately don't know any more details about the prototype, I'm using two old Hamburg harbor cranes as a guide, which I was able to photograph in Hamburg in 2007 and 2011.

Hamburger Hafenkran 33 (fspg2)

There will also be an anti-tipper, but I'm not yet sure what it should look like.
Perhaps as a double-T profile ending vertically just above the wheel tread....

Hamburger Hafenkran 31 (fspg2)

Hamburger Hafenkran 36 (fspg2)

Hamburger Hafenkran 38 (fspg2)

... or as in the following picture, which I kindly received from Gerald at the time.

Hamburger Hafenkran 39 (fspg2)

Frithjof

finescalerr

Your model looks better than the original. -- Russ

Bernhard

It's always a pleasure and inspiring to see your latest progress.

Bernhard

Ray Dunakin

I'm guessing the anti-tipper was to keep the crane upright if a wheel broke? Or is it to prevent stray items from ending up under the wheel?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World