• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

La Strada (the street)

Started by Carlo, December 04, 2015, 01:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo

Hello, all -
Recently, I started a 1" scale diorama of a typical Italian street scene, "La Strada". The first building is made of brick and stucco, 2 stories tall, with a second floor balcony. Below you can see the beginning of the second floor, with a plaster-cast brick veneer, and a balcony railing made for me by Antonio Malacario. I sculpted the figure, Nonna, who will eventually be painted and have real hair. More pictures when I have made progress.
Regards, Carlo Spirito

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

mad gerald

... looks very promising indeed, Carlo ... I especially like the figure you sculpted ...

Any idea how to get rid of the tiny "bubbles" caused by air intrapment while pouring the plaster into the mould?

BTW: I always get in trouble with this kind of scale indication - 1" scale (one inch to the foot?) is corresponding with 1/16 scale ... or even 1/12 scale?

Cheers

Carlo

Gerald - Thanks. Yes, it's 1 inch = 1 foot, or 1/12 scale, or 1:12 scale. They're all the same.
Spraying with "mold release", or a very thin soap solution helps with bubbles, but doesn't totally eliminate them.
I just fill them, or use them to make "damaged/worn" bricks.
Carlo

Lawton Maner

After using the soapy mold release, vacuum treat the plaster and vibrate the filled mold.  I find using a sabre saw without a blade in it for about 15 seconds more then enough to shake the bubbles loose.  Also can be used when casting in resins.

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Carlo

Here's an update on my WIP diorama, now called "La Strada", an Italian street scene, in 1" scale (1/12).

The major buildings have now been painted, and propped in place (green stick). I tried for a variety of materials and Mediterranean colors. Note the Gnome peaking out of the hole in the far corner. Now for a base, and lots of details and figures.

Carlo

finescalerr

The brickwork looks very good. The gnome needs a shave. -- Russ