• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Forum upgraded

Started by Oldiesmann, June 27, 2022, 11:44:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Michael, it would be more intuitive at first to have a photo attachment button on the Quick Reply box but once you remember to use the REPLY button for photos it's probably unnecessary. Still, I get comfortable with software pretty quickly whereas several forum members are probably better off with the simplest workable solution.

Kim, whose post is immediately above yours, is a vital member here and his preferences probably reflect those of several others. We're a very small and select group of artists and craftsmen, and many consider computers a necessary evil. Kim's idea about automatically formatting photos probably would be quite popular, assuming somebody could create it quickly and easily.

Kim, I don't understand what you are asking about Patreon. Are you suggesting I try to make our forum profitable? If so, as soon as money is involved, the things you like about it could change in a very negative way. Please send me a note explaining what you have in mind.

Russ

Oldiesmann

I'm not sure there's an easy way to make the photos automatically resize to fit the screen other than making them shrink to fit screens smaller than the actual image (which I think already happens).

Chuck Doan

Wow, thanks Michael and Russ! Total disconnect at first, but wow!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

Michael, regarding auto-resizing photos: We've been doing it manually for over a decade so, unless it were simple, easy, convenient, and required virtually no time to set up, we can just continue what we've been doing.

Chuck, I suspect you probably figured out the new software after only a few minutes.

If anyone is having trouble, please post your questions ASAP, while Michael is still keeping an eye on things. Once he wanders off, you'll be stuck with me.

Russ

Oldiesmann

I'm subscribed to this topic so I get an email every time someone replies :)

Mobilgas

Well I sure don't know anything about all this new Tech Stuff... so looks like Ill just be dropping in once in a while and maybe typing a comment on a post... Simple  :)
Craig

Hauk

Quote from: Oldiesmann on June 27, 2022, 11:44:41 AMFirst, let me introduce myself here. My name is Michael Eshom and I'm an amateur web developer/tech enthusiast from Cincinnati, Ohio. I am also an expert with this forum system, having been involved in the project in one way or another since it started over a decade ago. Though I'm no longer on any official teams (due to lack of time), I still run several forums of my own and help out with other things related to SMF as I have time. I got in touch with Russ and offered to upgrade the forum for him since the old version was extremely out of date.

Thanks a lot for making the future of this forum more secure!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

TRAINS1941

Well I guess I know how to post. Zoey the most beautiful Yorkie made it here unharmed!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

If she builds (rather than eats) models, please ask Zoey to send a username and password and I'll sign her into the forum. -- Russ

Bill Gill

Russ and Michael, I need a lesson on how to post photos on the revised forum.
 If you go to down page 4 of Stuart's thread on Leftie's garage  https://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=3226.45
you will come to my reply about Letterbashing. I thought I could add photos into the text wherever I wanted, but couldn't do it and wound up adding a second reply to try to keep text and images together.

Also I haven't been able to change the default font that all my posts & rplies seem to be using, Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Oldiesmann

Quote from: Bill Gill on July 13, 2022, 06:56:22 PMRuss and Michael, I need a lesson on how to post photos on the revised forum.
 If you go to down page 4 of Stuart's thread on Leftie's garage  https://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=3226.45
you will come to my reply about Letterbashing. I thought I could add photos into the text wherever I wanted, but couldn't do it and wound up adding a second reply to try to keep text and images together.

Also I haven't been able to change the default font that all my posts & rplies seem to be using, Any help appreciated. Thanks.

You can put the photos wherever you want them. After uploading it, you'll see "Insert" and "Delete" buttons. Click in the post area wherever you want the photo to appear, then click "Insert" and it will add code to display that attachment there.

As far as the font goes, click the first blue A on the toolbar (first icon in the third group) and you can select a different font from the list there.

finescalerr

Michael, I noticed a software upgrade is available but I assume I would have to install it from within the server. If you have time, and if installation is foolproof, please send me instructions. If there's a way to mess it up, I'll probably do that and almost certainly will need to ask you some questions via e-mail. -- Russ

Oldiesmann

Quote from: finescalerr on July 13, 2022, 11:48:10 PMMichael, I noticed a software upgrade is available but I assume I would have to install it from within the server. If you have time, and if installation is foolproof, please send me instructions. If there's a way to mess it up, I'll probably do that and almost certainly will need to ask you some questions via e-mail. -- Russ

What software update are you referring to? We're running the latest version of SMF.

finescalerr

Sorry, I saw an update announcement and didn't notice what version we are running. The current software glitch causing the numerous (false) error messages is why the update caught my attention in the first place. -- Russ