• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Woolwich beast

Started by Les Tindall, June 14, 2020, 12:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

That's looking great Les!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

1-32

Great progress there Les, the colour makes all the difference.
cheers

Bernhard

It is a mature achievement to reproduce such a complicated mechanism with so little documentation.
Bernhard

Les Tindall

Thanks for all the comments guys.  It's certainly a "head scratching" model. After getting past the complex gears part went on to start the coupling rods. Something I thought would be simple and straightforward took four attempts, 1: too thick a looking piece of styrene, 2: axle hole too large, 3: modelling knife cut in wrong place,4: success!!    Perhaps I should take up knitting instead, pass another valium please!

Les       

shropshire lad

Quote from: Les Tindall on July 16, 2020, 01:27:54 AM
Thanks for all the comments guys.  It's certainly a "head scratching" model. After getting past the complex gears part went on to start the coupling rods. Something I thought would be simple and straightforward took four attempts, 1: too thick a looking piece of styrene, 2: axle hole too large, 3: modelling knife cut in wrong place,4: success!!    Perhaps I should take up knitting instead, pass another valium please!

Les       

Here ya go , Les ....

finescalerr

Actually, drugs are always the answer! -- ssuR

Barney

Do you really want to end up looking like our Max -quote from Ray "looks like he has been on a bender" (see blue note room )
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

finescalerr

I already look like that. -- Russ

Les Tindall

Thanks for the magazine Nick, didn't know you were into knitting, problem now is what scale to make that scarf!
Les

Lawton Maner

Make it a 3X and mail it to Russ.

Headed to the corner.  Move over Nick.

Les Tindall

A couple of quick progress shots. The cooling "tower" is now complete. On the original there was a spiral of pipework which water flowed through to cool the cylinder (thats the small pipe going down to the cylinder, the large pipe is the exhaust). Its a bit front heavy at the moment but should balance out when the rest of the "cab" detail is added. The water pump has been fitted on the far side of the cylinder, now working on the control gear (forward/reverse and clutch levers). Progress has stalled a bit as my local model shop is still closed so having to mail order stuff.  At only a 7 minute walk away it was useful for that odd bit of styrene needed for a specific part. I've decided to mount the whole "beast" on a low-loader on the diorama (in the background) as though it is being shipped away somewhere, Shapeways came up with some wheels I can modify to represent solid-tyred wheels on a "knock-out" rear axle of a vintage low loader.
Les

Les Tindall

another shot

finescalerr

Coming along well and a very good addition to the diorama. -- Russ

Barney

Well its  defiantly comes into the "odd bod category " but its an excellent  bit of model building
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Bernhard

Your model gets better and better with every step.

Bernhard