• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Old Wagons

Started by Scratchman, April 14, 2010, 03:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart

Outstanding in every regard!

Bill Gill

The wheels and the entire hose reel look good to me!
Did you make the tools?

WP Rayner

Simply gorgeous... outstanding work. What did you use to represent the hose?
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

finescalerr

That seems adequate for a first draft. -- Russ

greenie

Quote from: Bill Gill on June 27, 2023, 06:59:16 AMThe wheels and the entire hose reel look good to me!
Did you make the tools?

Yep.

greenie

Quote from: WP Rayner on June 27, 2023, 07:28:13 AMSimply gorgeous... outstanding work. What did you use to represent the hose?

Just a length of drawstring you would have in your pajama pants.

greenie

Quote from: finescalerr on June 27, 2023, 11:54:46 AMThat seems adequate for a first draft. -- Russ

Thanks Russ, still need to rethink on how I made those wheels tho. :-)

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

greenie

Another 1/12th scale model, this time it's a South African Trolley and the drawing was published in "The Coachbuilder and Wheelwright, June 1904. Not to sure how this vehicle ended up in an Australian publication, but it is different and worthwhile making a model of it. The drawing calls for a pole for horses, but I could not find any pictures from Sth Africa showing this type of vehicle with horses up front, but plenty of pics showing Oxen or Bullocks pulling a Trolley of this type, so it soon became a vehicle that was drawn by Bullocks or Oxen. Even swiped the colour scheme from a photo of one of these vehicles on display in Sth Africa.

Bill Gill

Another great model!
The black crank handle in back looks like it might be for a 'parking brake'. Is that correct?

greenie

Hi Bill, the brake is used for that, as well as slowing it down when going downhill, just so you don't kill the motive power.  :D

The main reason that the brake is at the rear of the Trolley, is with Bullocks as motive power, you drive them from the ground.
The Bullockie is on the ground walking and swearing at them and using a bluddy long whip to control them.

If it were Horses that were the motive power then you use Reins to control them, then a seat should/would be fitted up the front of the Trolley and a foot/hand brake arrangement would be used for the driver to control it.

So Bullocks as motive power and the animals being controlled from the ground, then that handle at the rear is a suitable position for it.

Ray Dunakin

Another jaw-droppingly good model!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Ho-hum, perfect, artistic, and gorgeous ... as usual. -- Russ

Bill Gill

Stuart

As typical of your work --- stunning!

Stuart