• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Sandy Hollow

Started by 1-32, November 30, 2020, 05:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Very good scene. A lot of character and quite picturesque. Please take the suitcase out of the closet once in a while so you can send us some new photos. -- Russ

1-32

Yes, it has a few layers of shipping there is a double layer custom cardboard box that in turn fits into a hard shell cabin size suitcase.I never take the model with me it goes into the hold much easier for security. You usually end up in Dubi or Ohmar in the the wee hours of the morning it is the last thing you want is for the model to be knocked back by security you can't argue . Sometimes there are 3 security checks you can rely on anything just put it in the hold it travels really well so far it has been around the world 3 times no worries.
Anyway, have you seen inside the workshop mostly metalworking?

Ray Dunakin

I love that interior shot.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

Hi Ray yes full of color never much good with a limited pallet
cheers .

1-32

Morning all trusting that you are all in the best of health?
So moving along with the next board of Sandy Hollow on a 1/35 scale. A house on stilts once common in the tropics all open to collect the cooling trade winds wide shady verandas high roofs to collect the hot air vents on top to let the air out shades over the windows.On a variety of stilts wood, metal or concrete great place to park cars and to let the cooling winds cool under the house.No no air-conditioning they worked beautifully but now they are out of favor.
I have had experience living in such a design the bathroom under the toilet out the back.
First, there is a sketch and now the base is roughed in.
This board has a road in front separating the finished building the road leads to a rail crossing the railway joins onto the front board also
cheers.

Ray Dunakin

Good modeling choice, lots of character in that building!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

This looks like another good one. -- Russ

1-32

Morning all .
Hi Ray and Russ I think this is going to be a good one.
Progress the basic building is now complete the roof is next. This is going to be a big building no worries, I love the black card as a base when you add all the different layers there is always a solid dynamic base to fall back onto.
There are two views the first is the grand entrance and the last one is basically the kitchen area. Hand laid lattice 5 windows 4 doors.
cheers.

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill Gill

Lawton Maner

Nice progress!  The black core hides a number of sins once you get to the finishing.  Could also use a medium brown board to the same effect because cracks look as if the underlayment on the walls is trying to escape.

You need to work on the steps some because as they are now no one from health and safety will have a stroke just looking at them.  Once they are finished I'll see if I can find some scale safety tape to wrap around them.

1-32

morning Ray, Bill and Lawton.
Lawton very good call on the stairs the treads need to be thicker yes basically the whole stair structure needs to be more solid.
The blackboard versus brown good idea I have never thought of it, but black is good. I am quite capible to make an exact copy of the house wooden framing but I am not doing an exact copy more of a characterisation. When the cladding is installed the black gives a sense of depth.
cheers

1-32

Morning all trusting you are all in the best of health.
The general description of this style of house is a Queenslander making reference for the hot humid north of Australia but I have since learned that they were common in South Florida USA. Two walls left of the cladding at the end I really feel that I have built this model in 1/35 to 1/32 scale roof on really happy with the roof finish.
All the best Kim.

finescalerr

A very unique and charismatic little house. It probably gets dusty inside with all those sagging and missing boards. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World