• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Large scale Panther

Started by Dave Fischer, November 06, 2016, 11:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Fischer

I had posted a while ago that I was TEMPORARILY putting aside my locomotive project to try to get a model ready for the IPMS Nationals in Phoenix (two hour drive) in the summer of 2018. I had started this BIG Panther project all-the-way-back in 1993, revived it briefly in 1999, and this past summer dusted it off (literally) as something that COULD get done in time! The scale is 1/9 (like my tractor and Sturmgeschutz) making the hull about 27" long. The gun overhangs the front by about another 6", so the task of transporting the model is not insignificant, and being able to drive it to the competition is a welcome opportunity...

The turret is all new, and several of the old parts will be redone. Construction is mostly styrene with plenty of resin castings (track links, suspension parts and wheel disks) from my own masters and molds. As always, no commercial, found, kit parts or 3D printed parts will be used in any way-- all scratch. The green on the turret sides is is the putty for texturing the surface, and the whole hull will look like that before it gets painted. More to come!

Dave Fischer

Let's see if I can slip in a couple more photos...

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

Very, very impressive, both in size and execution!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Dave Fischer

Thanks, fellas! Maybe some paint is in the not-too-distant future. Recent discoveries have me working backward just now, taking a couple of things off to rework them a bit... More  to come.   DF

Dave Fischer

What did that say... 2016? Well, the Summer 2018 deadline seems to have slipped away, but the project is still moving ahead. There are a few pieces left to build before the paint can happen, and the wheels and tracks are off so they can be coated with mud. Weathering will be interesting since the actual vehicle had such a short life (completed in late September of 1944, disabled and captured December 19 of the same year). Paint damage and rust will be minimal, so mud and dust will be my medium of choice, with a few scrapes from moving around. The episcopes around the commander's hatch have mirrored plex prisms, so they function like real periscopes. Here are a few pictures that should look a little different from the ones before...   DF

Dave Fischer

A couple more photos... The gas cans are NOT in their final colors! Next is a shot of the rear plate-- the bolts for the various access panels include cotter pins to allow the nuts to be loosened without them coming off. The jack between the exhaust pipes is the one exception to the minimal weathering rule-- the design of the suspension often gave trouble and the jack was likely used often. Finally the spare track links hung from to turret sides to provide a little extra metal between the crew and the enemy anti-tank guns.    DF

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Dave Fischer

Thanks Ray! I was beginning to think I stepped into a Bermuda Triangle or something...   DF

finescalerr

Oh? Are you near Bermuda right now?

You've built a seriously outstanding tank model but the forum has been quiet for the past ten days or so. You know how it is here; if you get a couple of compliments here it's equivalent to a standing ovation at Carnegie Hall.

Russ

Dave Fischer

Well, not Bermuda... but there IS supposed to be a similar time-space twist centered somewhere around Gila Bend-- not that far from Tucson! It sure HAS been quiet for a while, though. Hey, c'mon, Russ... I was hoping to achieve adequacy. Guess I'll keep working.   DF

finescalerr

You did achieve adequacy, and then some. I'd go so far as to say the tank is satisfactory ... so far. -- Russ

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on May 17, 2019, 10:39:40 AM
You did achieve adequacy, and then some. I'd go so far as to say the tank is satisfactory ... so far. -- Russ

Careful , Russ, you don't want to overdo it with the praise . The poor chap might believe he's doing a decent job of that bit of a tank he is cobbling together !

Nick

WP Rayner

Amazing work... truly setting a standard here. I'm curious as to how you replicated the welds.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Dave Fischer

Almost everything attached to the Panther was quickly welded on, so I've had plenty of opportunity to practice! These welds are hardware store window caulk shot through a syringe with a tapered spout. I use a Luer Lock syringe with a replaceable tip to make cleaning and size changes easier. Unfortunately, the nicer welds on the rear deck and the boxy bases of the exhaust pipes were done years ago with a cheap generic caulk that is no longer to be found--replaced by products better for windows but not nearly as good for fake welding! I will put a how-to with pictures together to make this information more useful...  Thanks, all!   DF